Truck won't start?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Sounds good. Try the booster cables from the truck battery to the engine block. This will rule out a bad ground. The cable you replaced was the positive connection.

There are two small studs on the solenoid you must make sure it is on the correct one. Old vehicles with points used the second connection to provide full battery voltage to the ignition system to help starting. The small stud labeled I is for this purpose

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Take the battery to a parts store to get it tested if you still can't start it.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
I just read again that you replaced the battery. Probably safe to assume the battery is ok but have it tested just to be sure.

woody31

Banned
Reaction score
make sure you hooked up the small wire on the starter to the small stud closest to the oil pan rail....ok so you replaced the positve,,,replace the ground,,it has been my past experience,,,one click,,starter issues,,multiple clicks,,low voltage,,bad or corroded connections,,good luck and keep us informed,,lots of good people here able to help,,,:driver:

Last edited:

Flyin454

Reaction score
I'm showing half a volt on the selinoid with the key on... 1 volt if I have someone try turning it over, 12.4 on the battery

newguyinnc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you have 12.4v at the battery , try turning the key to the run position and jump the small post which you have the wire to , to the large post with the battery cable connected with a screw driver. This should start the engine. Used to do this to an old Camaro hotrod I had when the solenoid got hot until I installed a remote solenoid.I actually had a switch rigged to mine under the hood for emergency hot starts if the solenoid didn't have time to cool down. If this works then probly something wrong in the ignition wiring

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Well, the way it works is this:

The ignition switch has sliding pin type contacts. As you rotate the key, the switch makes the appropriate connections for run and start. When you hit start, it triggers the relay in the under hood fuse box. The relay then powers the solenoid on the starter. The solenoid pulls in and extends the gear drive (Bendix in sine circles). At the same time, the solenoid makes a couple bits contacts inside that directs power from that big battery cable to the actual motor.

If it all happens as per, the engine is rotated.

Since your say it just clicks and doesn't rotate, we'll look at it from that angle.

If your relay is clicking in the under hood panel, your ignition switch is likely good. If it wasn't, at least for "start", the relay wouldn't trigger.

Now you say the starter " clicks". That would seem to indicate that the undehood relay is directing power to the starter solenoid. If you wanted to double check the relay, the ac relay is the same one. Just swap em.

The starter solenoid has two coils. A "pull in" and a "hold". They are both triggered off the " s" wire that comes from the relay. Thus takes a bit more juice than the relay in the under hood panel, that's why the relay is in there: to off load the contacts in the ignition switch.

So if its "clicking" we can assume its making the contacts for the starter motor and engaging the starter gear. If you want to confirm, take the starter out and hook up the "s" wire. It should push out the starter gear. Don't hook up the big battery cable when doing this because the starter will rotate and probably torque right out of your grasp. Alternatively, remove the starter and connect a jumper from the body to the neg post and a jumper from the pos post to the "s" terminal. If the gear pops out, that part of the solenoid is good. Only do thus momentarily or you can damage the solenoid.

If you've gotten this far, reinstall the starter and hook up the big battery cable. Try to start it. Have the inspection cover off so you can confirm the gear engages the flew plate teeth. If it clicks but the motor doesn't turn, you have one of two problems. Then contacts in the solenoid are toast or the battery cable is not getting sufficient contact with the battery to transfer the 100 and some odd amps to turn the engine.

Solenoid is simple: replace it or the starter. You've already done this so it seems unlikely.

Battery cable can be a couple things. Poor contact, corrosion, etc. OEM cables are relatively infamous for building up corrosion inside the formed rubber part where it connects to the battery. Many have peeled it back to find a heck of a mess in otherwise good looking cables.

Thus is about all it can be. The starter circuit is pretty simple really. You can see the diagram here: http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/wiringdiagrams/1998/Starting-Circuit.pdf

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
With this talk of ground cable at the start of this thread, please make sure your new cable goes from the big stud of the starter to the positive + side of the battery.