Truck won't start?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flyin454

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a 97 k2500 with a 454 that's been starting kind of hard the last couple days, finally today it quit completely, I replaced the starter but all it did still was click the selinoid on the starter, so I brought it back and got a second starter to make sure it wasn't a fAulty one to begin with since it's a new not a reman. Still no cranking, the ground wire to the starter was rotted pretty bad so I put a new cable in, still nothing just a selinoid click, I even went as far as buying a new battery since mine was getting pretty old, any ideas what else it could be? I checked all my fuses and started relay and they're all working the way they should, I'm at a loss for ideas, can anyone shed some light on this?

woody31

Banned
Reaction score
double check your grounds...make sure the battery is hot,,also check the positive cable,may need to replace it also,have you tried to jump it with another car??

woody31

Banned
Reaction score
if you replaced the ground cable,,replace the positive also,,you cant see inside it but i bet is ate up inside the insulation...

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Are you sure its engaging the flex plate gear?

By "ground wire" I assume you mean the feed wire from the battery to the starter, right? The starter grounds out through the chassis....

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a 97 k2500 with a 454 that's been starting kind of hard the last couple days, finally today it quit completely, I replaced the starter but all it did still was click the selinoid on the starter, so I brought it back and got a second starter to make sure it wasn't a fAulty one to begin with since it's a new not a reman. Still no cranking, the ground wire to the starter was rotted pretty bad so I put a new cable in, still nothing just a selinoid click, I even went as far as buying a new battery since mine was getting pretty old, any ideas what else it could be? I checked all my fuses and started relay and they're all working the way they should, I'm at a loss for ideas, can anyone shed some light on this?

That's wierd you replaced the ground wire to the starter since there isn't one haha

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
That's wierd you replaced the ground wire to the starter since there isn't one haha

Yeah, that was helpful.

He could be talking about the braided ground strap, in which case the battery cable is suspect....

Flyin454

Reaction score
im talking about the one from the battery to the starter, everyone's been calling it the ground, the starter has 3 studs to hook things up but I only unhooked 2 and I haven't seen any other wires hanging under there, is it just an extra for another ground?

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Try turning the engine over by other means. You may have a seized idler or tensioner pulley or many otber issues preventing it from turning over.

Just to rule out a bad ground issue clamp a set of booster cables from the battery negative to the block.