truck starts runs then dies?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lester622

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
finally took my truck out the garage to run it some its been sitting up atleast a year while being built and dont know how long from previous owner. Truck ran great yesterday all over. hopped in it to take it to work and just died in the road and wouldnt start back up. jumped fuel pump relay out and it fired up then died again. had it towed home.

changed oil pressure sender and guage started working again truck fired up and ran in driveway for 30mins. hopped in it again to take it out and got half way up the block truck died. started back up died immediatly did that again. started it and held the throttle stayed running to get back to house maybe 500ft then died. wouldnt start back up. after a few trys fired up and got it back in garage.

Now its in the garage itll start up and idle rev it a few times then it just dies. never kills in the same amount off time sometimes idles for few seconds sometimes a few mins then just dies and can fire it right back up.

new igntiion module, new coil, new crank sensor, new fuel filter, new ignition switch, no security light on dash comes on to check bulb then goes right out, pulled distributor to change oil pressure sensor so i wouildnt possibly crack this one and checked gear on bottom and it is good. When i turn key on you can barely hear fuel pump running seems like it was alot louder before but my hearing isnt that great.

havnt gotten to check fuel pressure yet got to find a pressure gauge. does it sound like a fuel pump issue are am i chasing wrong thing. checked spark it has spark all connectors are good.

im so tired of chasing problems in this thing(granted i had it in literally a thousand pieces) that im ready to throw my big carburated motor in it with msd box and be done with sensor issues.

SilveradoGuy85

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Try replacing the fuel filter. My 98 died about 3 blocks from my house once, replaced the filter and it was fine.

Both times my fuel pump went out it was bad enough where it just didn't start. 1st it didn't give any fuel pressure and the 2nd time it gave a little pressure but still not enough to even crank the truck. So I doubt if the pump wa the problem it wouldn't just die and then run back and forth. If it is something to do with the pump it's probably something electrical.

Last edited:

firefighter_2319

more time than money
Reaction score
try cycling the key about 3-4 times but give it about 5 sec in between cycles to reset the fuel pump relay. if it starts then i would say thats a good place to start. even though its getting gas it may not be enough to open the injectors. i think the fuel pressure is around 62-70. if im wrong someone correct me on that

lester622

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
checked fuel pressure and its 60psi to prime and drops a little bit when it runs, when it kills the pressure doesnt drop so im guessing that rules out fuel. noticed when it would kill and not crank right back up there is no spark. now ignition module is new, coil and crank position sensor. could the ignition module be bad again? its an autozone one so i know its not the best but i did use the white grease and all that on the heat sink.

Im ready to throw in the towel on this thing, goes from one problem to another.