Transmission Filter and Gasket Removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CUSTOM06

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got a '97 2dr 2wd Tahoe with a 5.7L engine. I'm not sure what transmission it has in it. I know this sounds stupid but, this is my first rodeo with a Chevy. I get all the raising of the tranny and removal of the bolts. It's the 2 bolts holding the bracket to selector switch that has me worried. I don't have much room in my garage to wiggle around underneath or around it. Would it be better just to take it to shop and let them work on it. Don't get me wrong, I work on all my vehicles until I get stuck. Just like to see if there is an easier way to remove the pan with all these headaches I'm fixing to encounter. Any past write ups would be of great help.

Last edited:

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
To be honest man....I've always had a shop do my tranny service ever since I got computerized trannies. Mainly because I wasn't familiar with them and didn't want to muck something up. I have shop manuals for them, but never use them. I know, doesn't make much sense haha.

If you're just changing your filter and gasket, it shouldn't cost a shop much. I think last time I had it done, Castrol Lube did it for like $79+tax.

CUSTOM06

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
To be honest man....I've always had a shop do my tranny service ever since I got computerized trannies. Mainly because I wasn't familiar with them and didn't want to muck something up. I have shop manuals for them, but never use them. I know, doesn't make much sense haha.

If you're just changing your filter and gasket, it shouldn't cost a shop much. I think last time I had it done, Castrol Lube did it for like $79+tax.

Kinda what I'm thinking.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Yeah....I'm actually not the biggest fan of a computer controlling when I shift, even if the shift points are adjustable. My 96 is on it's 3rd ecm due to throwing tranny codes, it may just be a lemon....but the dealership keeps saying it's the trans control circuit in the ecm. It's the only 80E I've had problems with, though. <---gotta be a lemon.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Oh, if you could edit your original post to show year and model of transmission, I'm sure it would save someone else the time of asking. I know there's differences in the trannies in the OBS trucks. Actually, 3 generations of trannies were put in them: 700R4, 4L60/4L80, and 4L60E/4L80E.