4L60E filter condition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

solaralexx

Reaction score
I have a new to me 97 Tahoe with 107k miles, 4x4 with auxiliary oil cooler. The 4L60E was way overfilled when I got it (although the dipstick level is behaving weirdly). Today I dropped the pan to change the fluid and filter and below is what I found.

This is my first time opening a transmission, so I'm wondering how you guys would judge this, and whether or not I need to start budgeting for a new trans soon!

Old filter opened: one big chunk and some small shavings
You must be registered for see images attach

Close up on big chunk:

Close up on shavings:

Magnet in pan has lots of dust:

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a new to me 97 Tahoe with 107k miles, 4x4 with auxiliary oil cooler. The 4L60E was way overfilled when I got it (although the dipstick level is behaving weirdly). Today I dropped the pan to change the fluid and filter and below is what I found.

This is my first time opening a transmission, so I'm wondering how you guys would judge this, and whether or not I need to start budgeting for a new trans soon!

Old filter opened: one big chunk and some small shavings

Close up on big chunk:

Close up on shavings:

Magnet in pan has lots of dust:
The larger fragment looks like a piece of the rear sun gear; smaller stuff could also be gear train parts.

Id start planning for a rebuild based on those things.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the ID, ok I’ll start saving
You're welcome. Keep an eye on it for delayed engagements and temporal "locked-up" type conditions where the vehicle wont move - these occur when pieces of gear teeth break off and wedge themselves into the rest of the gears, interfering with the mesh. If/when this starts happening, total failure usually occurs within a thousand miles or less...