TOW RIG OVERHAUL! 2nd time... diesel swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Van Gui1d3r #838

Free Thinker
Reaction score
I'd go for it for $750. The 6.5L/4L80 could be a good combo for someone looking to replace a high mileage engine with one with more life in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know the truck has 200k on it so i'm assuming the engine and trans does too... hopefully not because if it were replaced, that's about a guarantee i'll get my money back

andy396

GMT400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as the frame rust goes, as long as it's not coming off in hunks you should be OK, especially if you're willing to get it sandblasted. Just check out the top side of the cross members behind the cab and under the bed. I would think you might have a hard time getting much more than about $500 for the drive-train due to the miles on it...but who knows.

Van Gui1d3r #838

Free Thinker
Reaction score
As far as the frame rust goes, as long as it's not coming off in hunks you should be OK, especially if you're willing to get it sandblasted. Just check out the top side of the cross members behind the cab and under the bed. I would think you might have a hard time getting much more than about $500 for the drive-train due to the miles on it...but who knows.

I wouldn't expect to get much. just anything to continue the project going. getting a cab and chassis out of it for that price would be a pretty sweet deal alone.

once I start getting some ground on it, i'll be able to sell off my dually as a flatbed to push through on the build. but until then, mine still makes me money. worst case, my truck ends up working off the entire build

Van Gui1d3r #838

Free Thinker
Reaction score
i think you should get it. but then again it's not my money. but if it was, i'd do it.

I agree 100%. but i'm paying in 800 bucks this year and doesn't leave me with enough project money. I could buy it in 2 weeks if all goes well... I've spoke with the guy a few times and he says i'm the only one so far to show interest.

Buy that truck yet? Lol

not yet unfortunately. Read previous response^ lol

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
I agree 100%. but i'm paying in 800 bucks this year and doesn't leave me with enough project money. I could buy it in 2 weeks if all goes well... I've spoke with the guy a few times and he says i'm the only one so far to show interest.

not yet unfortunately. Read previous response^ lol

maybe you could send him a small non-refundable deposit to have him hold it for the couple weeks? i wouldn't want to loose that, it's a DEAL and half in my eyes.

Van Gui1d3r #838

Free Thinker
Reaction score
maybe you could send him a small non-refundable deposit to have him hold it for the couple weeks? i wouldn't want to loose that, it's a DEAL and half in my eyes.

thank you for the thought. lol. my brain has not been running 100% lately. I've been a lack of sleep because I just became a father 3 weeks ago of a little baby boy and sleep doesn't come easy now. I run on about 35-65% charge now haha.

I don't care to do a 4x4 swap really. I want to build a serious hauler. a pavement pounder more or less. 4x4 just means more parts to break for me...

That is gorgeous...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will agree 100%!!! that is very close to what i'm thinking in my head. few differences though