TOW RIG OVERHAUL! 2nd time... diesel swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Van Gui1d3r #838

Free Thinker
Reaction score
these are the pics of the frame (which is my main concern with this build) what do you guys think? it has 200k miles on it but its a running driving truck for $750... I feel I can part the beast out for what I pay for it... and it the 150+ wheelbase.

You must be registered for see images attach

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
from my house it looks like mostly medium to a bit of heavy surface rust.....no rot.

there's gel type rust removers that should get that back in good repair, then a good restorer/primer to make ready for paint. you'll have most of the back apart anyway, should make the job much easier.

i have to do this same job on my truck this spring......i'll get links to the products i'll be using if you'd like......i've been studying on this for a little while now myself.

Van Gui1d3r #838

Free Thinker
Reaction score
Looks legit but I'm no expert.

What motor and tranny?

its a 6.5 turbo diesel with auto combo.

from my house it looks like mostly medium to a bit of heavy surface rust.....no rot.

there's gel type rust removers that should get that back in good repair, then a good restorer/primer to make ready for paint. you'll have most of the back apart anyway, should make the job much easier.

i have to do this same job on my truck this spring......i'll get links to the products i'll be using if you'd like......i've been studying on this for a little while now myself.

products would be great! I've heard a lot about POR15 on old frames. not familiar with it though.

yea it has a utility style box on the back. its 10 or 12 foot long like the boom trucks but I don't believe this has a boom with it. i'll sell all that off including the engine and tranny to try and fund the next step of repair. I don't see any rot. it looks like it just need to be stripped and painted. it would be ideal if the cab is as solid as mine because then I have 2 solid trucks and I can convert mine to a flatbed and sell it off, while taking my box and making it work with this. I would mod my box and move the dually fenders as far back as possible and move the rear axle under this frame to match my box correctly.

deejaaa

Became Less Of A Human 5-13-18
Reaction score
looks good to me. has this one been cut?
any way to get some (more than one) of the front axle? i've fantasized about putting one in my 3500. probably won't work but can't find any info on it.

Van Gui1d3r #838

Free Thinker
Reaction score
looks good to me. has this one been cut?
any way to get some (more than one) of the front axle? i've fantasized about putting one in my 3500. probably won't work but can't find any info on it.

no. it's a high mileage service truck the guy got his hands on. he was gonna tear it apart and convert to a flatbed but he found a better truck to do it with or gave up and building one.

he doesn't have any extra parts with it like front end stuff. just the entire truck as is

Van Gui1d3r #838

Free Thinker
Reaction score
so does everyone think I need to pull the trigger on this truck? is the motor and tranny worth the purchase? I'm not familiar with the old 4l80e's and the 6.5 TD... if they're worth the 750, I guess i'm taking the shot.

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd go for it for $750. The 6.5L/4L80 could be a good combo for someone looking to replace a high mileage engine with one with more life in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk