Tow Mirror upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99BurbK15

Reaction score
I have a question which I don't think anyone has asked yet, so here it goes...
I currently have the gmt800 tow mirrors on my 1999 GMC Suburban with full power and heat but no signals on the sides, but I want to have signals in the glass like they came factory on most trucks. Is it possible to order a replacement mirror (just top part) from a GMT800 and make that work in my mirrors?
The heat function should plug in and then just run the signal wire along with the existing harness, correct? I would go with the newer style (gmt900+) but I am not a big fan of them.
Just a thought, I haven't been inside these mirrors yet so I figured I would ask some of the experienced. How hard is it to get the big glass mirror out?

Here is the replacement mirror I am taking about...
m.oreillyauto.com/h5/r/oap/site/c/detail/KSO1/44249/02608.oap?year=2006&make=Chevrolet&model=Silverado%2B2500%2BHD&vi=1433307&ck=Search_02608_1433307_-1&pt=02608&ppt=C0329

Thanks to all in advance! Ben

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
You can if you can find the mirror glass and signals.

The backing plate/attachement varies between OEM and aftermarket, so you'd want to find the setup from aftermarket mirrors I would think. Most complete/cheapest option I would suggest would be buying a set of the same style mirrors with the signals and swapping the entire mirror head into your base.

99BurbK15

Reaction score
Thank-you very much. It never dawned on me with my mirrors being aftermarket and if I were to get an OEM glass piece it probably wouldn't work. I like your idea about buying another set of mirrors and switching bases. Is it hard to switch and wire them up? Also it looks like if I get a set of 99-02 the plugs look like it would be plug and play except for the mirror part correct?

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
They aren't too hard to dis-assemble, and the wiring I couldn't tell you if they are the same pinout or not. I've always modified my plugs to have all the wires together so I'm of no help there.

I took my old tow mirror bases and put them on the K2xx mirrors from a newer truck so I could get heated glass, something they don't offer in the K2xx mirrors for the GMT400 trucks for whatever reason.
http://www.gmt400.com/threads/k2xx-2015-style-towing-mirror-disassembly-how-to.32506/

99BurbK15

Reaction score
Alright I am willing to give it a try, I will let you know how it works out either way. I am sure you have heard this many times but you have a beautiful set of trucks, I like how you customize them but keeping it all GM. Ben