L31 towing cam upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kylenautique

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I decided to shelf the 0411 for the time being.. After installing the engine, my truck getting smashed up, dealing with insurance and whiplash, I don't want to swap out all the wires. I know...lame, but I'm a little burnt out. I'm going to tune the Black Box ecm, and mess with the 0411 in the fall. I'm working with Black Bear to tune my truck, but I think when I do the ECM swap, I may venture out to different tuners, especially with a Dyno option.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I get why you feel the way you feel now, but I promise you'll feel dumb when you actually do the 411 swap as it's not a significant project.

kylenautique

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I get why you feel the way you feel now, but I promise you'll feel dumb when you actually do the 411 swap as it's not a significant project.
Oh I know... Its not going to be difficult.. I'm just a little burnt out on projects. Right now, I just want to drive my truck, and its already half way tuned on the Black Box ecm. Justin at Black Bear is currently modifying my tune. Its amazing how awesome this thing runs compared to my old tired stock engine... and all the engine programming is stock. The 0411 is going to be a good fall project.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
We are back up and running! After some battling with the insurance, they decided not to total it. I found a bed down in Salem... Drove down there in the morning with a trailer, towed it back to Washougal, and swapped it out. Long day... but its fixed. I need to change the decals to Z71, but other than that, we are good to go! I found it interesting that after towing the trailer, the load it put on my engine did something to it in a positive way. It feels more powerful, pulls hills with ease, and the throttle response is better.
You must be registered for see images attach

That is why I get on them hard from day one. It takes heat and cylinder pressure to force the rings to seat properly.

Trying to remember, did you actually put a cam in this or is it just a fresh L31?

kylenautique

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got my tune back from Black Bear last night. Justin woke the beast... The truck runs great now. It feels very refined, better throttle response, pulls hills easier with more power... It just runs very smooth.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got my tune back from Black Bear last night. Justin woke the beast... The truck runs great now. It feels very refined, better throttle response, pulls hills easier with more power... It just runs very smooth.
Good deal. I always tell people a good tune is worth more than a cam on these engines. Combine both and they run extremely well as a truck engine. Mistake many make is going with far too much cam.