torsion bar key question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
it's gonna change the alignment, anytime you crank or decrank.

best way to do either is jack it up under the frame until the tires are off the ground, or the one tire you want to adjust the bar on, then turn it.

tsoderstrum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
One full rotation of the nut equals about .25 inches with the keys. I marked a spot on the rail and my socket with a sharpie when I leveled mine to keep track of how far it was going.

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
okay im just subscribing to the thread and i have a few questions that if possible could i get answers for asap? im about to get new front tires on my 97 z71 because ive been dicking around with used ones for a while now and it recently put me in a ditch on a rainy day, well i was getting used tires because my front end wasnt aligned right, so after the ditch issue i decides that i needed to get new tires instead of used so i went to the small local tires shop that i trust and have been going to for a while and wanted to know what would be required to get a good alignment because larger companys like tire kindom kept screwing me out of alignments and never straightened it out right, well my local shop did a front end inspection and i found out all my ball joints were original from 1997 and now have 252,000 miles on them and are beyond shot, thats why my front end couldnt be aligned properly, so last weekend i spend saturday and sunday doing a trial by fire removing the original crap on the drivers side, drivers side is done and im borrowing my bosses grinder this weekend so i should be able to get the passengers side done with no problem now i figured out all the little tricks to getting it all out, but anyways after i replace the passenger upper and lower ball joints im getting alignment and two new front tires but after reading this thread i want to try to level out my front end by lifting it a little because it seems a little lower then the rear, but from what inve gathered i should be able to tightened the bolt to the keys to lift it right? its stock keys, any suggestions and information would be soooooo helpful and if someone could get back to me by this weekend id really appreciate it because im trying to get everything all done by the end of the weekend, thanks in advanced

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are trying to level your truck do it BEFORE your alignment. to raise the front of the truck tighten the tortion bar bolt, to lower loosen the bolt. Raise the front of the truck off the ground when you do this (it makes it easier)

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
whats the best was to make sure you are getting the passenger and driver side the same, and if i read correctly one rotation is .25 on the keys, does that mean that its .25 inch of lift of the front end?

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That measurement is not the same for all trucks. I like to measure from the ground to the fender.

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
i hope im able to level it because the front appears to be a good bit lower then the rear, i live in a apartment complex with ****** parking lots so im going to have to try to maybe use a piece of sheet aluminum to make sure it not hitting a uneven spot in the asphalt, do you know whats the mazimum amout on average that it will allow you to lift it?

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think max is 2.5" but YOU DO NOT WANT TO DO THAT you will be redoing all the work you just did in a short period of time!

2" is about as far as you want to go so you don't wear front end components. I prefer 1.75" makes for good cv angles (not stressed)