tj98gmc 98 gmc build thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4x4incountryboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yea, roughly 45 mins away...not too many users from out this way doesnt look like :shrug: ya might want to look into the polyurithane mounts.... my brackets looked a little better than that but the mounts were trashed...deffinately more rugged and worth the price for better longevity

tj98gmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ive been thinking about doing the gmt900 mounts,,, from what ive been reading up on it and it seems like it would be worth it,,

tj98gmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
so today i went and picked up the cab corners and rocker panels for the truck,,, so here are some pics of me removing the bed,, tomorrow i will get to cutting all of the rot away and putting the replacement panels on,,, in the pics you can see some issues i have to deal with,,, ill point them out,,,

You must be registered for see images attach

the spare tire carrier is shot,, im just going to cut it off and put in some C channel for a brace and call it a day

here you can see someone replaced the spring pack and was lazy about bolting it back in and put the bolt in wrong,, you can see where the point of the bolt rubbed a grove in the hanger bracket,,

this mount is the same one that is rotted in the back of my cab,,, yea it shouldnt have that big hole ,, lol

this bed mount has the only bolt that gave me any issues getting out,, the top of the mount itself is going to need replaced,, not too hard to do,,

thats it for the night,, called it quit a few hours ago to make some dinner for the wife and son,, more work and pics coming tomorrow!!!

ShadowRejects

I drank the Kingpin koolaid
Reaction score
Dang that truck has seen better days! glad to see it's getting back to there. I look forward to more pics!

MrBeast

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow man, that frame is in pretty rough shape. I'd think you would be best off getting another. Looks like if you can get it all fixed up that it will make a nice truck.

tj98gmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yea its rough,,, ill get it all cleaned up,,, a little bit of grinding welding annd painting will have it better than new,,,

tj98gmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok,, so today was a busy day,,, i got the passenger cab corner and rocker panel welded on.. i put a skim coat of body filler on to fix the high and low spots just for the finish,, here are the pics!!!

last night i couldnt sleep so i went out to the garage and did some cutting..

i put some sealer on it last night after cutting because it was suppose to rain and i didnt have the room in the garage..

i trimmed a little more before putting the corner on but i didnt get a pic of it,,, here is the corner just tacked into place,, as you can see i cut about 7" off the top of the corner replacement,, i just didnt need to go as high as they make it,, plus you never want to weld any part of the body on a flat surface,, always find a body line!!,, the metal will warp like crazy if not,,

more spot welds,, never ever run a continuous bead on any body panel,, too much heat will warp the metal!! just keep putting spot welds across the panel giving each spot weld time to cool down..

more spot welds

and more

now after all the welding was done i used a grinder with a flap wheel

as you can see very little body filler is needed

i put the rocker panel on and i forgot to get pics of it tack welded on,, but here are some after grinding was done

i drilled some holes in it across the lip that goes under the weather strip just for added support

now just for a small amount of body filler just to smoothen out any high or low spots

let me know what ya think,,, constructive critizism is more than welcome,,, ill only cry a little bit,, lol

Last edited: