Tire Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Low 89

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Then what size of rear tire would be best to keep the vehicle level, keeping in mind that there is a 1.5" width difference between the rims.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Crash already told you a 295/35 would be the same. The 295/35 is 0.1" taller than the 255/40. It doesn't get much closer than that.

I'm going to take a moment here, because it sounds like you don't quite have a grasp on what the numbers mean in a tire size.
We'll work with the 255/40-20 size.
The first number, 255, is the section width. This is the width of the tread measured in millimeters. 255mm
The second number, 40, is the aspect ratio. This is the thickness of the sidewall measured as a percentage of the aspect ratio. 40% of 255mm.
The third number, 20, is obviously the wheel diameter.

So, when you're running a staggered size, if you want to keep the same diameter front to rear, you're always going to have a lower aspect ratio in the rear for the wider tire. That explains why the 295/40 is so much taller than the 255/40 and why the 295/35 is the same height as a 255/40.

Low 89

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh I think I understand now. I knew what each number signified, I was just ha\ving trouble grasping the fact that in the rear to get the same tire diameter i had to go with a smaller aspect ratio. Still not fully understanding, but I'll make do. Thanks for the help!

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All those numbers can be confusing, but when you play around with them for a while, it'll soak in eventually.

Low 89

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay, so to stay within budget and such, ive considered some other sizes. Going by what 1badgmc said, and having a lower aspect ratio on the rear due to staggered tires. I found some tires that i believe to be all right. Theres a .3" difference between the two but at this point, I dont care much. Up front, it would be a 255/45 and in the rear it would be a 275/40. my only concern is, would that be to tall of a tire up front, destroying the look?

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't recall if you've mentioned it in any other threads, but are you planning to lower the truck? If so, how far? Keep that in mind.

The 255/45 is 0.1" taller than stock and the 275/40 is 0.2" shorter than stock. The rear will be slightly shorter than the front, but the difference is so minor, I doubt it could be seen without putting a tape measure to the tires.

If you're dropping it and keeping it mild (2/4 or 3/5) I think they'd look ok. But if you're going to slam it (4/6 or 5/7) they might look a little big. Of course, I did run 255/50-17s and 305/45-17s on my truck with a 5/8 and then eventually with the bags and it didn't look too bad. They were about the same diameters as what you're looking at. Those sizes could work for you.

Low 89

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Actually, it currently has a 5/0 drop - I havent had the time lately to do the /7 part of the drop. I did look around a lil on fsc and found a truck with a 4/6 drop and 255/45 up front. it looked okay, a little more rubber than i wanted, but i only have so much cash available for tires, and these are cheaper than if i were to do 255/40 and 295/35. besides, it is a daily driver, so the extra rubber wont hurt.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This was mine with the big tires. Granted they're 17s, but they're still about the same diameters as you're looking at for your 20s.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Low 89

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I actually dont mind the tire thickness and such at all. I know that mine will be slightly thicker, but they really dont look that bad. Besides, i'll have to drive it in the winter here due to not having a second vehicle, so it'll definately be better than having almost no rubber. Thank you once again!

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's definitely good to be on the larger side on a driver. Low profile looks good, but there's a lot to be said for the slightly softer ride and extra wheel protection afforded by thicker sidewalls. I wouldn't be on 30 and 35 series tires on my '91 if it were a driver. That's for sure.

You're welcome. :)