Thrush Glasspacks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Project Mean Green

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol yeah, screw autozone knowledge...

I found out why backpressure is important though... it gives your O2 sensor the ability to communicate and tune your engine better.. zero back pressure can throw a "too lean AFM" code...

My truck didn't do that and it sounds deep and throaty. I dumped them after the cab

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's how the exhaust was in my truck when I got it. Was awfully loud in the cab, got headaches and couldn't even have a conversation while driving the truck

Project Mean Green

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's how the exhaust was in my truck when I got it. Was awfully loud in the cab, got headaches and couldn't even have a conversation while driving the truck

Really? Mine surprisingly isn't very loud but then again I haven't broke them in yet and have a minor leak on them both that I am clamping tomorrow. But yeah it's loud but not in the cab.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

phule

Back in a 400 again
Reaction score
How long did you go. Im looking at some 29" glasspacks.

Adam

dylan94sierra

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to bring the old thread up but I'm pretty new to exhaust systems. I was thinking about straight piping my 94 5.7 and was thinking about glasspacks... Any thoughts to how it would sound? Right now I have stock 2.5 exhaust cut off just before the rear axle (I didn't do it) so I would just delete the cat and muffler. Whats the difference between glasspacks and cherrybombs

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
I have 24 inch thrush glass packs on my 97 5.7 Silverado. I like them. My truck is not loud, it has a deep rumble at idle. at wide open throttle it get louder. This longer glass packs are the quitter they will be. The shorter they are the louder they will be. Cherry bombs are short. Straight pipes have no restriction what so ever. Any muffler you can see through will not be restrictive ether, but any muffler that you can not look through is restrictive. (e.g. flowmasters). The better the exhaust flows, the more power the truck will make, but wide open exhaust is not good ether.(e.g. open headers, open exhaust manifold). The pipes and cats. provide enough back pressure to be ok to run no muffler.

dylan94sierra

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are yours welded on? I was hoping to get something I can clamp. Would I be ok to run straight pipes with no muffler and cat or would I need one or the other to keep some back pressure? Yours sounds like something I'm looking for, an aggressive tone at idle and loud when I get on it