Thick smoke at tailpipe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dylan5299

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just put a used engine in my truck to get it back on it's feet and it fired right up. Only problem is it's drinking oil and I get pretty thick smoke at my tailpipe.

Before I put the engine in I replaced all the gaskets and seals except for the rear main and valve seals. This makes me think it isn't a head gasket. No coolant in oil or oil in coolant. Just oil consumption.

I want to check compression and my plugs when I get home but those were new too.

Could it be my valve seals? The smoke is lesser at startup then builds up to plumes until it makes my oil pressure drop.

I also reused my intake which had all new sensors, pcv, etc on it.

Any help is appreciated.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Compression check and leak-down test will tell all. I doubt the valve seals if it is less at startup and gets worse. Sounds like a cracked piston or cracked ring(s).

dylan5299

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did a compression test and was getting 160 psi in all cylinders. I did put some painted headers on and they did smoke some when it first started up but then it just kept coming out of the tailpipe nonstop