The Stupid Lift Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1997k1500Calvin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK I know this is stupid question I'm sure but I just don't know. I have a 99 gmt800 ext cab short bed z71. It has a three inch body lift and the rear has a ayleast a two inch lift block under the leafs. My question is when I replace the shocks/cause they're shot/ are they still the stock height or are they however much longer the lift block is?

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Well gmt800s come stock with a block in the back. A pic would help but stock shocks should be fine if it's just a 2 inch block. But if you plan on going higher suspension wise I'd get longer shocks. For example my 95 with just a 2 inch block has 6" lift shocks on it in case I decide to go higher eventually.

NotARealK2500

This'll be my last GMT400, I swear!
Reaction score
Got a 92 K2500 with the transmission and oil cooling lines running into my radiator. Been looking at the PA 3" body lift to fit my winter tires on, and I'm curious if there's any issue with raising the truck 3 inches, and potentially running into problems there. I currently have an aftermarket aluminum radiator in there and I'd rather not strip/bend any fittings or lines.

I haven't seen much mention of them in most of the build threads, so I'm not sure if this is an irrational fear, or if I need to fab some fittings for it.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Got a 92 K2500 with the transmission and oil cooling lines running into my radiator. Been looking at the PA 3" body lift to fit my winter tires on, and I'm curious if there's any issue with raising the truck 3 inches, and potentially running into problems there. I currently have an aftermarket aluminum radiator in there and I'd rather not strip/bend any fittings or lines.

I haven't seen much mention of them in most of the build threads, so I'm not sure if this is an irrational fear, or if I need to fab some fittings for it.
I've never had a problem

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
just like taylor said above there are no issues my 2 trucks both have 3" bl with no line issues and I have done a half a dozen kits for other peoples trucks with no problems

1997k1500Calvin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well gmt800s come stock with a block in the back. A pic would help but stock shocks should be fine if it's just a 2 inch block. But if you plan on going higher suspension wise I'd get longer shocks. For example my 95 with just a 2 inch block has 6" lift shocks on it in case I decide to go higher eventually.
Thannks dude I had no idea that it was stock, is it only for the z71 im guessing. I Need to get sone son, cause I can get under my truck and bench press it up about 5 inches so they're pretty shot

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

aleebee156

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anyone got pics of a stock height K1500 with 285's? or know of a thread where pics like this can be found?

I need new tires, but truck is a 97 K1500 Z71 4x4 stock height with no BL or suspension lift in its near future. almost just got my 265's again yesterday but thought hey maybe I can fit 285's under there. Seems like the consensus is that you can. but I'm curious what it looks like, seems it may look a bit jammed and crowded and look like the tires are too big for it. Kind of like having huge tow mirrors on a stock height half ton... just looks wrong.

Oh, when you guys shove 285's under a stock height truck do you crank the TB? or can you leave them downturned/stock?

Oh wheels are aftermarket 17's, not sure on width or offset... got em for free from a buddy

MDR-97-Z71

400 Obsessor
Reaction score
Anyone got pics of a stock height K1500 with 285's? or know of a thread where pics like this can be found?

I need new tires, but truck is a 97 K1500 Z71 4x4 stock height with no BL or suspension lift in its near future. almost just got my 265's again yesterday but thought hey maybe I can fit 285's under there. Seems like the consensus is that you can. but I'm curious what it looks like, seems it may look a bit jammed and crowded and look like the tires are too big for it. Kind of like having huge tow mirrors on a stock height half ton... just looks wrong.

Oh, when you guys shove 285's under a stock height truck do you crank the TB? or can you leave them downturned/stock?

Oh wheels are aftermarket 17's, not sure on width or offset... got em for free from a buddy

I don't believe the 17's will change anything but I'm gonna say that it's likely you'll have to crank up the torsion bars. Just remember if you crank more than 1 inch you'll need a front end alignment.

I just ordered 285's myself today at work so I can upload pics of stock height on 16's soon. You don't need lift blocks, But just cause I have them I will eventually be installing 2 inch rear lift blocks and cranking the torsion bars, not all the way but enough to look level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aleebee156

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea post a picture of those when you've got them installed. What tires did you go with btw? I'm gonna go BFG AT KO2's

MDR-97-Z71

400 Obsessor
Reaction score
Got a nice deal on a set of Hankook Dyna Pro AT's with $100 rebate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk