The Stupid Lift Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
What is the clearance to the bottom of the frame (center of truck) with the RCX 4" and 6" and with/without the Realift Susp TB relocators?

Sorry - I know that's kind of s-hitty question. I am trying to determine the best route to clearance/overlanding (read: useful lift height).
Mine measures 19"

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
Mine measures 19"

Awesome - Thanks Luke.

I'm 99% sure I am gonna say Fug-it and just get everything done, but $3800 is a big pill to swallow. Lift is $1500 (AutoTrac = $429 shaft, $1100 for the lift with the needed accessories for Suburbans) + $600 Install + $1700 for yukon 4.56 gears and TrueTrac (installed). I could save $600 and install it myself, but I don't really want the headache. Rather drop it off in the morning, and everything be done that afternoon.

Nutro

Reaction score
Hell I have the dumbest question. I am new to this world and only had worked on Jeeps and fast cars. My dad and I recently bought a 97 Yukon 2dr 4x4 as a toy/daily for us (Among our other vehicles) and I am LOST as on the torsion/leaf suspension. I crawled underneath the front end to start learning and I was like "WTF is that, WTF is this" so yeah. The truck is bone stock with 130K miles on it. If we want to crank the torsion just a little (About an Inch) is it hard to do? I thought about having a shop do it but would rather wrench myself.

We just put some 17x9 wheels with -6 offset and some 33's and love the look but it rubs the front bumper extension just a tiny tiny bit.

Thanks y'all!

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Haha if you can turn a breaker bar you can crank the t bars

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
It's just two 17mm (IIRC) bolts. Get up under there and turn em! If you take it to a shop they'll just try to sell you a leveling kit, which are useless on these trucks.

Nutro

Reaction score
Yeah I've been reading on here about "lift" keys and the waste they are. Okay so I feel like an idiot. I looked earlier and I didn't see where these bolts are but I will google it. I saw the end of the Tbar in the control arm but didn't see a way to adjust them.

Do I need to put jack stands under the frame and unload the front end?

Also, assuming I don't want a ty ride from cranked tbars BUT I don't want more than 1" of lift (For now) is there any other option for lifting the front a torsion bar suspension? IE; Is there anything else I can buy to lift the front end 1" besides a tbar crank?

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
The torsion bar bolts are at the opposite end of the torsion bar. Obviously you know where the torsion bars go into the LCAs, so just follow it back into the torsion bar cross member, it's about even with the end of the door on your truck. There will be two bolts on either end facing the ground. Tighten them to add preload to the suspension and it will raise the truck. I'll be happy to get photos tomorrow if that helps.

As far as going higher than an inch, you could go with a 4-6" lift from several companies. There are a few 2-3" kits. But they are baaaaad news.

Nutro

Reaction score
Damn okay I though the bolts would be at the front, I will find em but thank you for offering. Do I crank both bolts on each side? I'm figuring tighten the 2 drivers side a 1/3 turn and the passenger side 2 bolts both 1/3 turn as well

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
Damn okay I though the bolts would be at the front, I will find em but thank you for offering. Do I crank both bolts on each side? I'm figuring tighten the 2 drivers side a 1/3 turn and the passenger side 2 bolts both 1/3 turn as well
Measure your fender hight first to make sure both sides are even. If not, adjust one side up until they are. Then adjust both sides evenly. You'll need to turn them a lot more than 1/3 to get a noticabe difference lol. Start at 5 full turns and go from there.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score

There's only one bolt on each side