The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You got it, throttle body injection, or in the early 80's it was called digital fuel injection, that's funny to me.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Yeah, and in the 60's and 70's, the mechanical(before electronic or 'digital')injected units, were commonly called fuel-injected carbs. I like that better than tbi :)

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Here's another tid bit, the 427ci came in 2 block styles, standard deck and tall deck. The latter is built off the 366bbc mentioned earlier, decking the block makes it a clone of a standard deck, but it comes stock with 90% forged steel internal components :D

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
How do i know if i have the poppet injectors or the new gm spider injector things. engine was rebuild with a mild cam about 100k ago

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you can pull the upper intake manifold off and look, thats about the only way I can think of.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the poppets will have a thin tube running from the fuel metering body out to the poppet valves themselves and no wiring going to the poppet, the new mini injector setup will have a thick tube and 2 wires going from the metering body out to the injector at each port.

this site has some pics of both, not a great one of the poppet valve setup, but at least you'll be able to see the difference

http://www.theautoshop.net/VortecMPFI.htm

Goliath

Reaction score
I get that people are hooking up computers or scanners to their trucks to get diagnostic codes, but where do you get one of these computers? and how much do they cost?