The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok new fuel pump great pressure still wont run unless I pour gas down the intake...... ugh
The injector connectors are usually broken, and even new they're fiddly. The wiring is often crunchy. We replaced the injector connectors on my son's truck, and the driver's side injector will wouldn't fire. I had to cut the wiring back another couple inches to fix it.

If you have power to your injectors and it still doesn't run, the next step is to ensure the ECM is switching the ground on and off.

Intimi88tr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The injector connectors are usually broken, and even new they're fiddly. The wiring is often crunchy. We replaced the injector connectors on my son's truck, and the driver's side injector will wouldn't fire. I had to cut the wiring back another couple inches to fix it.

If you have power to your injectors and it still doesn't run, the next step is to ensure the ECM is switching the ground on and off.
I guessing that this will require a multi meter. (which I have) Is there a thread on how to test the connector itself and what kind of readings I should be looking for?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm assuming you have a TBI because you can pour gas down your intake. You have two of these connectors on top of the TBI, and with the key on they should have 12v. You can check either side of the connector because the ECM is not providing the ground, so you'll see full voltage on both terminals. If you have 12v at both sides of each connector, then you know the problem is downstream, either in the wiring to the ECM or the ECM isn't pulsing the ground to fire the injector.

If you only have voltage on one side of a connector, then either the connector's dorked or the injector is bad.

Amsterdamned96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm trying to find a Gen V gasket set, in Europe. So 1pc rear main and rec intake-ports. This is proving to be quite difficult and I'd like it ASAP, local vendors have Mark IV gasket sets. Is it possible to fit one of these instead without causing leaks? I've heard that people fit Mark IV heads on gen V engines despite that this causes extra leaking of coolant. In short, can I fit a Mark IV head gasket on a Gen V block & heads? possibly with minor modifications to the gasket.
I'm aware that I'd have to source a 1-pc rear-main gasket separately if I were to buy the set locally.

Reaction score
Greeting all!
Just inhereted a 95 k1500 5.7. Came here looking for some info and found a stupid questions thread and knew I was home :D

OK, so doing the dreaded Intake Manifold Gasket replacement. Broke one of the studs (the one where the leak was, so I'm blaming it on the corosion due to the leaking colant and not my fumble fingered wrenching "skills"). I cannot seem to find a place to buy a new one of those studs anywhere. So can I just use a bolt instead? If so, why did they use studs in the first place (even shown in the factory manual)? If not, where can I locate a replacememnt stud? Thanks!

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Greeting all!
Just inhereted a 95 k1500 5.7. Came here looking for some info and found a stupid questions thread and knew I was home :D

OK, so doing the dreaded Intake Manifold Gasket replacement. Broke one of the studs (the one where the leak was, so I'm blaming it on the corosion due to the leaking colant and not my fumble fingered wrenching "skills"). I cannot seem to find a place to buy a new one of those studs anywhere. So can I just use a bolt instead? If so, why did they use studs in the first place (even shown in the factory manual)? If not, where can I locate a replacememnt stud? Thanks!
Welcome! And thank you for your stupid question :p

I dont have a direct answer as I have not needed an intake stud on a TBI engine, but I found this. https://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts/gm-stud-14029009.html
You must be registered for see images attach

It takes some digging to find what you’re looking for if you aren’t familiar with part’s inventory. This is a good resource for factory part numbers and bolt/nut thread size references.

Reaction score
Welcome! And thank you for your stupid question :p

I dont have a direct answer as I have not needed an intake stud on a TBI engine, but I found this. https://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts/gm-stud-14029009.html
You must be registered for see images attach

It takes some digging to find what you’re looking for if you aren’t familiar with part’s inventory. This is a good resource for factory part numbers and bolt/nut thread size references.
Thanks. I had actually found that when searching myself, but it said exhaust so I ignored it. However, looking at the image you posted, I noticed the Part Description lower down also says intake, so now I guess I'll give that a try ... thanks again!