The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
New member and I tried to search around for any posts about a similar issue and did not see any. I have a '95 5 speed 350 tbi and have an intermittent power issue while cruising at interstate speeds.
While driving holding the throttle still I would slowly lose a bit a power and slow from 70 down to 65 or so and have to floor it to try and regain speed. Found out if I held the throttle still long enough it would almost feel like the truck downshifted there was that much of a power increase. CEL did illuminate but of course it turned off right before I got home to check it.
New TPS and O2 from previous issues, just a guess but I was thinking it's a MAP sensor issue, feels like a fuel problem but since it eventually figures itself out and regains power with no change it throttle I'm really not sure.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's your fuel pressure when this happens? You'll need a fuel pressure gauge, some strong tape, and a long hose so you can tape the gauge to your windshield.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
New member and I tried to search around for any posts about a similar issue and did not see any. I have a '95 5 speed 350 tbi and have an intermittent power issue while cruising at interstate speeds.
While driving holding the throttle still I would slowly lose a bit a power and slow from 70 down to 65 or so and have to floor it to try and regain speed. Found out if I held the throttle still long enough it would almost feel like the truck downshifted there was that much of a power increase. CEL did illuminate but of course it turned off right before I got home to check it.
New TPS and O2 from previous issues, just a guess but I was thinking it's a MAP sensor issue, feels like a fuel problem but since it eventually figures itself out and regains power with no change it throttle I'm really not sure.
The code from the CEL doesn't just disappear once the light goes off. It's stored until cleared with a scanner or the battery is disconnected.

Reaction score
What's your fuel pressure when this happens? You'll need a fuel pressure gauge, some strong tape, and a long hose so you can tape the gauge to your windshield.
I'll try and get one of those adapters to put in to add a Schrader valve. Hoping it's not a fuel pump since it seems to accelerate up to speed through all gears and rpms. Might as well test to rule it out though. Thank you.

Reaction score
The code from the CEL doesn't just disappear once the light goes off. It's stored until cleared with a scanner or the battery is disconnected.
Ok, I wasn't sure if OBD1 kept inactive codes. I haven't driven it since the light turned off so I'll try and see what I can find. Thank you.

Edit: I did have a code for the O2 sensor voltage low. Didn't even think about that going bad since the new one is only 2 weeks old (of course it was sold on Amazon as an AC Delco unit and it was not when it showed up) New one ordered and it's an easy fix so I can't be too mad.

Last edited:

baddawg

Reaction score
OK guys, this is a head that say GM did not make???

Hi Perf. 1.88 exh. 2.19 intake.
No markings on heads, or block.
Buddy of mine bought it in 75 as a crate for a boat. 454, 450HP.
118cc, rectangle port intake, 6272990
What's the deal with the heads?