The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was suggested by someone to use ez out to remove my broken manifold bolts. Is it reliable? Because the shops around me don’t service exhaust manifolds and I figure it would be cheaper it I just replaced them myself.
The shops around you won't do it? They're lazy and looking for easy jobs that pay well. Drilling out manifold bolts sucks, but it's work that needs to be done. The problem is that it can go sideways and completely eat your lunch. This is a job that's incredibly difficult for a novice, but gets significantly easier with practice.

You can do it yourself, and an EZ-Out is the correct way to do it. Center punch the bolt before you start drilling. Keep your drill centered and straight. Drill deep enough to fully seat the EZ-Out.

Take the time to set yourself up for success. You must get the drill straight and keep the bit centered on your bolt. If you get sideways or wander you'll be in the threads in the block. Take care with that EZ-Out! If you break it off in the hole you're really between a rock and a hard place.

If there's any thread sticking out on the bolt, a better solution would be to thread a nut onto those threads and weld it on. The heat will help loosen the bolt and you can put far more torque on the welded nut than you can on an EZ-Out.

93chevyluvr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The shops around you won't do it? They're lazy and looking for easy jobs that pay well. Drilling out manifold bolts sucks, but it's work that needs to be done. The problem is that it can go sideways and completely eat your lunch. This is a job that's incredibly difficult for a novice, but gets significantly easier with practice.

You can do it yourself, and an EZ-Out is the correct way to do it. Center punch the bolt before you start drilling. Keep your drill centered and straight. Drill deep enough to fully seat the EZ-Out.

Take the time to set yourself up for success. You must get the drill straight and keep the bit centered on your bolt. If you get sideways or wander you'll be in the threads in the block. Take care with that EZ-Out! If you break it off in the hole you're really between a rock and a hard place.

If there's any thread sticking out on the bolt, a better solution would be to thread a nut onto those threads and weld it on. The heat will help loosen the bolt and you can put far more torque on the welded nut than you can on an EZ-Out.
Got it thanks for the advice

2blue4you

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Is this normal? 1400 mile Jasper 454 idling at 11 psi warm confirmed with mechanical gauge. Mechanic says it's normal, and most guys say 10 psi/1000 rpm is fine. Original motor would idle at 40 psi warm so this seems concerning to me. Check gauges light is coming on. What do you guys think?
https://photos.app.goo.gl/W4Rdn49NetKKVyct6

Intimi88tr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 97 Chevy Chyanne that has spark,and fuel pressure. Ive checked the fuel pump, good
filter good getting pressure yup has spark, will run if you pour fuel down the yap it will run.
also has a new ignition control modual......
Help!!

would this be the injectors or injector control?

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
will run if you pour fuel down the yap it will run.
also has a new ignition control modual......
Help!!

would this be the injectors or injector control?
What are you calling a yap? Is it the thingy majigger in the middle, that the cable thingy hooks up too?

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Well if I could understand a lick of that then you said you have pressure but you did not specify how MUCH pressure. The poppet injection spider in the Vortec engines often wants 60psi from the pump, no less. My fuel pump in my 97 ran fine, electrically... Only gave me 45-56 psi tho. Not good enough. Fuel pumps go out more often than injectors so that would be my bet, but you could also have clogged poppets.

Intimi88tr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well if I could understand a lick of that then you said you have pressure but you did not specify how MUCH pressure. The poppet injection spider in the Vortec engines often wants 60psi from the pump, no less. My fuel pump in my 97 ran fine, electrically... Only gave me 45-56 psi tho. Not good enough. Fuel pumps go out more often than injectors so that would be my bet, but you could also have clogged poppets.
I didnt think of that! Not sure how much....I think I better find fuel pressure tester! Thank you!!!

KDiDP

Reaction score
On the Throttle body injection 454/7.4's can the 12mm pintle Idle Air Control Valve even fit in the bore for the valve if it actually needs a 10mm pintle and you have the incorrect one?