The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pull the number 1 spark plug and lightly hole your finger over the hole. Have a helper bump the starter until your finger pops off the hole. You will be close to your timing mark. Rotate the engine by hand until the marks line up. Drop the distributor in so that the rotor is pointed in the general direction of the #1 cylinder. Make sure that the distributor drops all of the way to the intake. If it doesn't, take a long flat blade screw driver and rotate the oil pump shaft so the distributor drops in all of the way. You might be off a tooth either direction but you'll be able to rotate the distributor enough to compensate.

joep88cheyenne

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay just a quick aside. I have an 88 c1500, 4.3 pushing the 5 SPD. Other then more muscle any real complaints on this engine/tranny combo. Not doing any long tows of heavyweight, nor hauling bed loads of rock and such. I have had it 2 years and made trip from DFW to Bakersfield and back with no issues. Yeah it has about 250k on the clock so will need to plan a refresh on it. Don't have dough for a engine swap and don't want to do one anyway. Just looking for opinions here.

Wade

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Skylark and East302, thank you very much, I used research and what your posts contain to get my distributor back in right. Turned the key and it fired right up!

Thomas Wesley

Reaction score
Alright so I have what could be a stupid question. I have a 1995 chevy ext cab 4x4 5.7 tbi 4l60e and whenever it rains a lot, and only when it rains a lot (might sound like I'm lying but I'm not) I will give my truck gas, but it won't go anywhere. Then it shifts really hard and then it does it again right at the top of whatever gear I'm in. Does anyone have any idea?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

edonwheels

Reaction score
Alright so I have what could be a stupid question. I have a 1995 chevy ext cab 4x4 5.7 tbi 4l60e and whenever it rains a lot, and only when it rains a lot (might sound like I'm lying but I'm not) I will give my truck gas, but it won't go anywhere. Then it shifts really hard and then it does it again right at the top of whatever gear I'm in. Does anyone have any idea?

What does your transmission fluid look like?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Thomas Wesley

Reaction score
Could be a speed sensor. I know the one on the transfer case can affect shifting. I had to put one in my 94 it would go into nutral while driving.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
I was thinking tps. But I didn't want to go and buy all this stuff and try and figure out what's causing it. Thanks for the input

HD_DUALLY

Reaction score
perfect thread for my dumb question, I've searched and searched but not gotten the answers i need. my tow rig is a 1994 3500 with a tbi 454. the charcoal canister is gone, and the line just ends up by the firewall. can i route that line straight into the capped nipple on the front of the TBI so it draws in the fumes straight from the tank and burns them. will this create to much vaccum without the canister? do i need a vented cap? will it effect fuel economy or performance ect...?

for the first guy that says" get another canister and make just like factory" please save your finger strength. i don't want to and id like to put a second battery in that position

only useful info please so we don't clog up the thread thanks

Last edited: