The Stupid Electronics Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what possible reasons this light would come on? Happened yd morning and after class took it to valvoline for service. Figured it was just low on oil but it’s still on, so yeah kinda concerning. Maybe the fuse blew for that indicator light or something? Idk
You must be registered for see images attach
That’s going to be the equivalent of a “check engine light”. There is a fault code set in the computer. You’ll have to connect a scan tool and go from there.

Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance... what is this wire supposed to be for? Could this be why my dashboard cluster lights won't come on?

Attachments

• wire.png
    wire.png
    848.4 KB · Views: 10

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance... what is this wire supposed to be for? Could this be why my dashboard cluster lights won't come on?
The brass thing in the end of that wire is a fuse tap. (Looks like it was just yanked out) They’re used to provide power to an aftermarket accessory.

That red wire is aftermarket, it could go to any number of things. Lights, brake controller, radio, amp etc…

93chevyluvr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That’s going to be the equivalent of a “check engine light”. There is a fault code set in the computer. You’ll have to connect a scan tool and go from there.
It’s a 93 and it’s an OBDl and my cigarette lighter doesnt work so a scan tool won’t connect. Thanks for letting me know btw.

Oakr11

Reaction score
I might do it just for kicks!

My question:
Does anyone know where to get the crimp terminals used for the stock electrical connectors? The fuse box has plenty of places to put all of you accessory relays and fuses. This would really make a clean install. It would look completely stock. If someone finds them I will make up a file for the underhood and ip fuse panel label so that you could print out a new one and put it on the panel cover. That would be sweet!
I get the plastic part of the plug in connector from the salvage yard and the metal (brass?) crimp on spade connectors from NAPA. I had to find a guy that was willing to take the time to look thru a ton of different types to find the right one.

Reaction score
The brass thing in the end of that wire is a fuse tap. (Looks like it was just yanked out) They’re used to provide power to an aftermarket accessory.

That red wire is aftermarket, it could go to any number of things. Lights, brake controller, radio, amp etc…
Thanks.

After I posted that, I pulled the cluster and replaced it without doing anything, and the dashboard lights came on briefly. Then went off. And my speedometer/odometer now only work 20% of the time now. I'm guessing the connectors are likely bad? or the cluster itself is just shot.

Will get some 90% alcohol and try cleaning the pins on the back of the cluster and the piece on the dash it plugs into but i don't think it will do much, they looked pretty clean.

Jwill945

Reaction score
93 Suburban, I’ve lost both rear turn signals, but bulbs are still good. Fronts work (obviously blinking faster without rears working). Am I looking at a flasher issue?