The Stupid Axle Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zabo

Reaction score
Checked out the few on GL4x4 and they're 8 luggers or older 6 lugs out of a square body.

Did find a scrapped out 3/4 ton tahoe that I guess just died. No damage. Not hard to find em out there so if it comes to it I'm gonna do the 6 lug SF swap but keep the IFS.

Took it to a local shop down the street (Bill Ritchie if you've heard of him) and I'm getting the truck poked and prodded for a third party opinion.

Seems more of an ECU issue since aside from the u joints clanking everything just runs like a lobotomized car.. From off the wall trans shift points to the blinker relay pulling 10v.

But I love this OBS as much as I loved my T/A back in the day. It.. fits. This is gonna be fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
If you find a 6 lug 4x4 2500, it will have a 14b sf rear axle, and the matching front differential will directly swap into your truck, giving you matching gears. This is the route i would go. The 14b sf is plenty strong.

ljsilvers

Reaction score
Will a front diff out of a k2500/k3500 8 lug bolt up into my 93 k1500 6 lug?
If so, can I keep the 6 lug axles brakes and other suspension parts. Or does it require an 8 lug axle and related parts?
Oh if it helps its a 93 k1500 suburban 350 4l60 stock.

19trax95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The front diff out of a 3500 or 2500 will not fit. It is a 9.25" diff and the mounting ears are completely different.

Zabo

Reaction score
What about a 6 lug out of a heavy half? Would that mount up? Say you found a SF 14 bolt 6 lug and matching front diff?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19trax95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think the f44 trucks (heavy half) still used the 8.25 diff. So it would be the same as a half ton diff.

If the diff is a 9.25 there is no easy way to swap regardless of what it comes out of.

ljsilvers

Reaction score
Mounting ears are they what mount it to the frame?
I was once told because of the weight and size k1500 suburbans were using the same frame as a k2500 suburban, is that true or false? Thats why I wanted to put a 9.25 ifs in so I could add a cable or electric locker up front.
Thanks for some good and accurate advice and answers!

ljsilvers

Reaction score
I think the f44 trucks (heavy half) still used the 8.25 diff. So it would be the same as a half ton diff.

If the diff is a 9.25 there is no easy way to swap regardless of what it comes out of.

Mine is a heavy half, I just don't like the one wheel drive in the front. Can't tell much difference between 4hi and rwd in a stock open diff on each end, lol.

Zabo

Reaction score
Well rear end consensus is that my Tahoe is on borrowed time. Not to mention the TC doesn't get the memo to go into 2hi.

Say I come across a complete (and I mean complete) 3/4 ton 8 lug Suburban (1998). I'm talking from rubber on the road to the driveshafts. Everything is there. Is it possible to actually cut the ears off and fab up new ones and bolt everything up? Are the floor shift TC inputs transferable from a 241 to a beefier 3/4 ton TC? Would they even bolt to a 4L60E?

I ask this because I came across a complete truck at a yard. Harness, ECU, Dash, Suspension driveline. Already got a low mile L31 I'm going to have cleaned up and I might as well swap it all to OBDII spec to make things easy. The spider and coil is still there too. How much of a PITA am I looking at and since the search function is just full of unanswered threads I'm not going to start another and ask kindly for directions to a good build thread to follow. lol