The Stupid Axle Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beardeddummy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you just the answer person around here most of the time i get on here you are the "man with the plan"

eluwak

Reaction score
look at your wheel hubs, a full float has hubs that stick out in the middle of the rim, it will have 8 bolts holding the axle shaft on the end of the hub

this is a 10.5 ff rear and yes the hub must come off

You must be registered for see images

So I pulled one of my rear wheels off today to take a look at things, and I guess it's still a FF, but it looked like I could just yank the drum off which is a bit different. Are there many variations of this setup?

Also, should there be a bleeder in the same location on each of the front disk calipers? The one on my passenger side looked like crud, but where I thought I should find the driver's side bleeder was just a flat-ish rusty surface :confused:

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
So I pulled one of my rear wheels off today to take a look at things, and I guess it's still a FF, but it looked like I could just yank the drum off which is a bit different. Are there many variations of this setup?

Also, should there be a bleeder in the same location on each of the front disk calipers? The one on my passenger side looked like crud, but where I thought I should find the driver's side bleeder was just a flat-ish rusty surface :confused:

You have a single rear wheel there, that's what they look like, and yes, that is a full floater.

On the front calipers, they should be symmetrically opposite. If they were literally the same, one would be pointed at the ground, and they need to be pointed up to get the air out.

eluwak

Reaction score
You have a single rear wheel there, that's what they look like, and yes, that is a full floater.

On the front calipers, they should be symmetrically opposite. If they were literally the same, one would be pointed at the ground, and they need to be pointed up to get the air out.

I had a feeling that was the case. I guess something must have happened to the bleeder screw...

axlshaft

Reaction score
Ok new guy here.... So I have this 14 bolt SF 6 lug axle I got off of Craigslist and I have no idea what year it is from. I am looking to put it in my 1995 GMC K1500. I am going to get a 3.42 ring and pinion set with an installation kit but several places that have the kits for sale have 2 different kits, one for 1997 and older and one for 1998 and newer. Since I don't know what year my axle came from I don't know which kit to purchase.

Does anyone know the difference between the 1997 and 1998 14 bolt 9.5" gear SF axles that would cause these 2 separate kits for installation? Additionally is there any way to tell the year of my axle? I've been searching all day on the net for how to decipher the codes stamped / cast into the axle housing to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
I've got a simply stupid question I haven't been able to find an answer to searching...

I recently got a great deal on a 1992 Chevrolet 3500 Dually. I'm changing all the fluids, so my question is....

What weight/type of gear oil for the differential in this truck? All I've been able to find online has been for the smaller trucks.

Thanks,
Rob