The Stupid Axle Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
try spraying brake cleaner in the area and see if your idle changes.

SierraVortec

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 96 sierra, its got 3.73 gears and does not have the G80 code. however when I put it in 4wd it locks up both back tires...any ideas here or am I missing something?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Best way is to pull the cover. Who knows what previous owners have done. Good time to change the fluid, too. Again, who knows how long that's been in there.
If it does have the gov-bomb, Do NOT use the GM posi additive.

SierraVortec

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
but theres no possible way for an open diff to lock up like that? especially only in 4x4

mpyusko

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not to sure how a simple switch from 2wd to 4wd would make the rear-end lock without some very noticeable overhead.... compressor, tank, lines, cables, wiring.... still to force it to lock in 4wd wouldn't make much sense. Even a lunch box locker would work both ways. Got an Eaton E-locker myself, even then you want to select on/off. Could wire it to a relay too kick on automatically in 4wd, but you'd seriously kill any road manners doing so. At minimum you'd see a two-wire harness coming out of the diff.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 4

slippy3002

Master Machinist
Reaction score
I have a 96 sierra, its got 3.73 gears and does not have the G80 code. however when I put it in 4wd it locks up both back tires...any ideas here or am I missing something?

Just out of curiosity, how do you know it's locking up?

Sent from ®obland

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
but theres no possible way for an open diff to lock up like that? especially only in 4x4

engaging 4x4 doesn't do ANYTHING to the rear axle. So if its locking up only in 4x4.. either you're wrong, or you have a very aftermarket setup.

92Sierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good adjustable proportioning valve I can use on my 92 sierra? I have a 14B sf rear and the rear locks up first so i need to adjust that.