The Official Vortec 454 Info thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bachert24

Reaction score
Any of yall in in or near Michigan that can do my tune if I go with the 0411 upgrade? Also anyone found a video on swapping in a warlboro yet?

fisher

Reaction score
How many miles are on it? Hopefully, those are original seats which would mean fairly low miles. And it's fairly rust free considering it's a Michigan truck (rockers don't count). Those vortec 454's need the stock injectors replaced, if they haven't been already, and then lower intake manifold gaskets replaced every 125-150k, along with the fpr since you're in there. The 454/4l80e combo will go forever though. Nice starting point.
"those vortec 454's need the stock injectors replaced, if they haven't been already, and then lower intake manifold gaskets replaced every 125-150k, along with the fpr since you're in there".

I second that opinion from Keeper.

fisher

Reaction score
Thanks man, sadly has 207K on it, so I have no clue what has and hasnt been done on this thing. Im sure Ill find out the hard way! Definitely need to look at those brakes, I do want to add some power, was thinking heads, cam, and headers but who knows how far I will go, was looking at FI kit the other day from procharger but might be out of my price range.
I suggest leaving the heads and cam alone untill you need to do a full overhaul. I got a noticeable improvement in performance in my 2000 L29 when I installed a K&N air intake and a less restrictive muffler.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Any of yall in in or near Michigan that can do my tune if I go with the 0411 upgrade? Also anyone found a video on swapping in a warlboro yet?

I'll be back in MI in August, but I'll be 330 miles north of you. With 2 411 swapped 454 Vortec trucks.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the info I’ll check the trims. Here’s my gauge I sent the wrong pic
That gauge isn't gonna work for you. You'll need one with a schrader valve fitting as Schurkey mentioned. Unless you happen to have a hose you can thread into that block that has a schrader valve.

Here's what works, just threads right onto the test port.
You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

Keeper

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I suggest leaving the heads and cam alone untill you need to do a full overhaul. I got a noticeable improvement in performance in my 2000 L29 when I installed a K&N air intake and a less restrictive muffler.
And I'll second that opinion from @fisher on the exhaust. Can't say I've had an intake that has made a difference, and I've tried a few, although I do have a Volant in a box to try. But exhaust matters imo. After having been thru a few of these L29's, I've pretty much settled into leaving the engine stock'ish and doing a good/great dual exhaust (I've had bad ones that have robbed power), and then lowering the gears if necessary (edit: by lowering I mean increasing numerically). I'll save up for a supercharger if I want more front grunt (which, of course, I am always on the lookout for one). That said, I am curious on a cam... a 199/212 with a 109 and low 400's intrigues me to no end on this engine.

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
And I'll second that opinion from @fisher on the exhaust. Can't say I've had an intake that has made a difference, and I've tried a few, although I do have a Volant in a box to try. But exhaust matters imo. After having been thru a few of these L29's, I've pretty much settled into leaving the engine stock'ish and doing a good/great dual exhaust (I've had bad ones that have robbed power), and then lowering the gears if necessary (edit: by lowering I mean increasing numerically). I'll save up for a supercharger if I want more front grunt (which, of course, I am always on the lookout for one). That said, I am curious on a cam... a 199/212 with a 109 and low 400's intrigues me to no end on this engine.

So smaller than stock is what you're after? These were something ike 208/208, a dumb LSA/ICL, and .480" lift.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Stock was 204/209, 480's and a 118

yes, I want a wide split on duration and not as much lift

Nothing wrong with a decent split on an engine without headers. I'm more taken aback by the desire for such a small intake lobe and so little lift. I went with a 212/218 and .520ish/.530ish lift on mine.