tbi upgrades the works

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4x4chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was reading and people were putting cams and intakes and throttles bodys and new chip in them and make 400 plus horse and 500 plus torque is that possiable?i just want to make a little more power to pull threw the mud and pull any thing that come to the back of my turd.Has any one ran the elderbrock tbi intake and cam and the holley on stock bottom end and heads?:help:If any one has any power upgrades in there tbi and runs like a champ let me know the specs if you pit in a cam thanks alot

4x4chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i have a 350 tbi its pretty stock with a single muffer exhuast but its a k2500 suburban if that has to done with anything

90'rado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
400+ HP and 500+ TQ is certainly not unreasonable for a TBI setup. I have a very mild setup in my truck, making about 300HP and 400TQ (at the flywheel). 400 LB-FT of FW-TQ will turn anything into a blast to drive, especially a light 2WD RCSB, and you'll have plenty of grunt to pull loads, one of the best things about a TBI setup. Off the shelf chips and mail order tunes are MARGINALLY better than a stock tune, at the best. If you want to get the most power out of any TBI setup you must tune it yourself, b/c it is a long, drawn out and time consuming process. The reason for this is the 7747 ECM is probably the most primitive ECM out there and the data update is 160-baud rate. In plain english, this means that you're only getting input from the ECM every few seconds, which by today's standards is sloooooow. All this means however is that tuning takes longer, as there ends up being more 'educated-guesswork' to fill in the gaps. If you're planning on sticking with TBI, then I would recommend DynamicEFI, which is an upgraded daughter-board for the TBI ECM. This upgrade makes tuning MUCH easier, and you get more data to work with in the same time period for tuning, it has Auto-learn VE (Fuel table) functions which is very nice.

In terms of hardparts you can still build a brick-*********-tough TBI even w/o tuning it. However, a tune is always going to bring out the most of any combination. These things MUST be addressed:
1.) Replace the entire exhaust system from the manifolds to the tailpipe, the factory exhaust system is EXTREMELY restrictive.
2.) Ditch the factory cam, the factory TBI cams are PUNY. There are a bunch of cams that would be better than the stock cam, so the choice is yours, I'm running the Elgin duplicate grind of the Crane 2030 which cost only $50 compared to the Crane's $200.
3.)Ultimate TBI mods
4.) Port and polish the TBI (swirlport) heads. If you have money for aftermarket heads go that route, but the TBI heads have long gotten a bad rap for no good reason. IF you port and polish them they will perform superbly from idle-5,000 RPM. Great cylinder heads for a pickup.
5.)Tune

The stock bottom end will be fine as long as you're not constantly revving it up to 8,000 RPM

71 cuda man

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the stock bottom end sounds like you'll use truck for daily driving.If this is the case go with Edelbrock combo package.You,ll have good pulling power from idle -5500 rpms.Also use trans-dapt.tbi spacer.As for heads the stock ones will be fine just port & polish exhaust side not intake.You could do some porting on intake side if you really want to just don't polish.Polishing intake ports are mainly done for drag race motors.that don't really need to idle.A street motor needs proper atomization of air/fuel mixture,hence swirl.A better coil like MSD with a set of good wires & plugs will also help with better combustion{more power}.You can send your intake & headers to Jet Hot coating to get coated also.This will keep fuel cool & underhood temp down.Cool well atomized fuel + a hot ignition & a good flowing exhaust will be like night & day.With the cam,intake & headers you shouldn't need to change chips.You will only if you change to eldelbrock heads.Call them to make sure.
If you want more power than this setup check out Motorvation .com for their 750 cfm throttle body setup sitting on top of built 383 is a good runner.Using good bottom end part your power band will be between 1500-6500 rpms.Give them all your drive line specs & they'll make a custom chip for your vehicle.
If you want more power than that find a LS 6.0 liter in the bone yard & swap it in you can make 550 hp all day without breaking a sweat or better yet a 502 big block with a 5 speed.LOL.I'm just messing with ya.
Just remember if its a daily driver KEEP IT SIMPLY.Drivability & reliability are the rules.If its not & you got some deep pockets drop in a 502 roller motor.LOL
I hope this was helpful.
ps stay away from the Holley its not really worth the extra money.the factory TBI is fine especially with a K&N.
I'm work on a Ram Air setup now like the ones from the 70 GTOs.I want it to look factory & I'll post pix when I'm done

90'rado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The Edelbrock combo package is WAY overpriced, not even close to being worth the money.

TBI spacers can be had from Egay and craigslist for CHEAP, no need to buy new.

Porting and polishing heads obviously means leaving the intake ports rough, anyone who has ported heads, or spends 5 minutes looking into it knows this. I've never even heard of "drag race motors" **engines** that use a polished intake port. All **engines** need the fuel atomized or mixed with the air. Regardless that's not what we're talking about here

Stock spark plugs will be fine.

With a few bolt ons and other mods it will run on the stock tune, but there is a ton of power left on the table without tuning it. Edelbrock's tunes that come with their overpriced combos are about like off the shelf chips and mail order tunes; nowhere near as good as DIY tuning.

Bottom end parts have NOTHING to do with the power band. David Vizard has stated that the SAFE limit for stock, 2 bolt main SBC rotating assemblies is about 450 HP (Google him if you've never heard of him). There are guys that have run the stock 2-bolt parts well beyond 450 HP even, which goes to show what can be done with stock Chevy parts if you are methodical and meticulous in planning and building an engine.

Once again mail order chips are mediocre, not nearly as good as DIY tuning, there is ALWAYS power left on the table with mail order.

The only benefit to running a K&N is that it's reusable. paper filters work just as good (provided they're not clogged with dirt).

The stock TBI unit will feed an engine to right around 400-450 HP if it has Ultimate TBI mods. Beyond this, one would need to consider adding another TBI unit to help with the extra volumetric requirements of such a hot engine.

4x4chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well i found a tbi elderbrok intake for only 60 bucks,and a spacer for 30.I went to look for a came i found a good rv cam,the stems and springs with rod kits were like 250 for set everything and the msd kit like disturbor and wires coil the kit was like 350 new so i think 1600 will be enough to make aleast 400 hp and 430 torque hope fully and my trans with the 2100 its going to cost me 1300 to rebuild that so am looking at the multi fuel injected kit form elderbrock that 1000 by itself has any one ran the multi fuel injested? is it worth it?

ZaneDickerson

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
I just added a tb spacer and one of those power chargers for the intake...
Best $100 I ever spent.
its the blue jet performance one from summitracing.com like 70 bucks