TBI spacers, are they really worth the money?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I've seen gains of 30-40 horsepower from adding a 1" spacer between a carb and an intake on an sbc. Granted these weren't in lazy old TBI 350's, but I can't say I've seen this much of an increase from a timing bump or distributor recurve.
Really? On a stock, low compression, low HP SBC? No other mods? I'd sure like to see those before-and-after dyno sheets. :)

Richard

chrmaka

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Supposedly they're fine for TBI's.

Vortecs, useless unless you're drilling and tapping them as a nitrous fogger.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
Really? On a stock, low compression, low HP SBC? No other mods? I'd sure like to see those before-and-after dyno sheets. :)

Richard

As stated, none of these were on lazy old TBI motors. I was identifying that increased intake plenum volume improves atomization and velocity into the engine. Even a TBI 350 would benefit from a more performance oriented intake manifold. The point is that there are worthless ways to spend $ on "go fast" parts that don't make you "go faster" (e.g. "CAI's", bright colored 8mm ignition wires, etc.), but carb/TBI spacers shouldn't be lumped into this category. You have to know this.

MarkZ28

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im going to take care of the lopo tbi problem the right way. Switching to a real performance intake, Holley carb, good aftermarket HEI style ignition, heads, cam, etc. someday. Not going to mess with any of it until I have the cash. No use wasting money trying to get 5 hp from a tbi just to trash it all later. If its free Ill do that stuff though.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
I thought the right way to rid yourself of TBI issues is to swap to an LS plant and associated 411 computer... :rolleyes:

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm old skool. I love radio and heater deletes, flat heads, carbs, big blocks, and points lol.

I like my centerbolt valve covers. Hold on, let me rephrase that. I love being able to SEE my centerbolt valve covers. I also hate engines with plastic motor condoms covering up all their cool parts.

The newest id go is tuned port injection on my 94. Not a fan of coil on plug distributorless engines. The LS is a great swap engine for damn near everything, but just not my thing.

That being said i hope i dont offend anybody with my meme

You must be registered for see images attach

1995z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can someone explain the difference between the swirl bore and the smooth bore on these spacers?

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
I'm old skool. I love radio and heater deletes, flat heads, carbs, big blocks, and points lol.

I like my centerbolt valve covers. Hold on, let me rephrase that. I love being able to SEE my centerbolt valve covers. I also hate engines with plastic motor condoms covering up all their cool parts.

The newest id go is tuned port injection on my 94. Not a fan of coil on plug distributorless engines. The LS is a great swap engine for damn near everything, but just not my thing.

That being said i hope i dont offend anybody with my meme

You must be registered for see images attach

If you were true old school, you'd passionately dislike centerbolt valve covers, and swear by perimeter bolt valve covers. Being a mopar guy (even though I wouldn't put anything mopar even on my trash can), I'll let you slide on that one.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I like the centerbolt valve covers on my truck since they came with it, i think they look cool, and they seal really well. I'd like to get some aluminum finned VCs or vette ones for it. In 1992 I had an old 71 C/10 parts chaser i swapped a 350, and a muncie M21 into that i absolutely loved. The perimeter bolt VCs not so much. Even with neoprene gaskets they still leaked. Truck was jersey rusty. I sold it off in 1994, and ordered my new 1994 silverado. Moved to Texas in 95, no rust, yaaay !!!! i still have the truck lol. That being said i LOVE this truck!!!! Owned it 22 years, and it still gives me a smile or just makes me feel good every time i drive it. Dont have the heart to swap its heart out even for an LS. If i did that it just wouldent be the same. I am still partial to the 68-72 Chevy C/10's.

Not an overly GM kinda guy, i just love muscle cars, and american cars and american pickups and V8s in general. This being said i helped my brother do a frameoff resto on an 87 monte SS, and also own a 67 barracuda notchback with an old skool 360 and 4 speed. (My avatar pic currently on rotisserie), a 2007 Mustang GT. Yes coil on plug ignition, but nice car, quick, and coils dont hide the valve covers, and a 1988 dodge daytona shelby 2.2 turbo 5 speed.

As stated the LS is a nice swap engine. Actually a great swap engine. I think its been swapped into damn near everything. However the thread was about the merits of adding a tbi spacer. Any gains, if its worth it.

I looked at the ultimate TBI mods including adding the "salad bowl" to the air cleaner base, raising the pod 1/4" flow matching the injectors, and releaving and rounding off the lip on the top of the TB. I bet with these other things included with the TB spacer you may notice a gain though small, but prob better throttle response and maybe a bit of increased fuel economy as well.

Last edited:

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
You could remote mount coils on the firewall with longer plug wires, and there is no need for a plastic engine cover.

To each their own... I know someone who ripped a perfectly good electronic ignition set up and dual plug heads off a hog they were working on for a customer.

The second plug hole was welded shut, and points installed.

There is no denying the advantages of the LS though, the cylinder heads and general engine architecture is light years ahead of an old small block.

Now if GM would have only used nice high nickel blocks like Chrysler.....