TBI junk carb time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
that's to keep the pcm for the 4l60e and he has the old school 700r4 so does he need it?

It's an absolute waste of time and Money IMO to keep the tps and old dist and such. I would find another way if that's what you have to do with a 700r4 to keep the speedo. either a cable to electronic unit or just put in an aftermarket speedo.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
that's to keep the pcm for the 4l60e and he has the old school 700r4 so does he need it?

It's an absolute waste of time and Money IMO to keep the tps and old dist and such. I would find another way if that's what you have to do with a 700r4 to keep the speedo. either a cable to electronic unit or just put in an aftermarket speedo.

no he doesn't, but if he wants to keep stock gauges, i explain how, if he wants to just regulate the stock fuel pump (Cheapest way), i explain how. also, i didnt even leave stock dizzy, i have HEI, and also explain how to wire that up. i believe if he keeps the VSS plugged in, and keeps the PCM plugged in, his speedo SHOULD work.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
how is regulating the stock fuel pump the cheapest way?

the fpr with the bypass are like $70 or so and a reg. block mounted pump is only $15.

I aint bashing or hating bro. I don't mean for it to sound as if I am either, but this is info I'm interested in too. Now I gotta go read your thread on the hei stuff lol.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
how is regulating the stock fuel pump the cheapest way?

the fpr with the bypass are like $70 or so and a reg. block mounted pump is only $15.

I aint bashing or hating bro. I don't mean for it to sound as if I am either, but this is info I'm interested in too. Now I gotta go read your thread on the hei stuff lol.

one problem is, very few TBI blocks are fully machined for mechanical fuel pump, i have had one block that wasnt machined at all, one where it had a block off plate and the oil hole and bolts for plate were machined but the hole for the rod wasnt at all, and my current block is fully machined.

also, TBI fuel lines are on the drivers side of the truck and end at the intake/distributor area. and a mechanical fuel pump is on the passenger side at the front, so then you would have to plumb in line to reach the pump, and to do the properly, you SHOULD use hard line, so my choice was to buy a $70 regulator, change the fittings on the tbi lines, flip the fuel line on my Holey/Demon to face the firewall, and put the regulator on the firewall.

now that i think about it, mech. pump is probably "cheaper" but alot more work to make it work.

as for the HEI, it only takes one wire to run, i used the Pink wire that originally goes to the TBI Coil, works perfect.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
oh ok I didn't know the coil already had a pink wire, that was my thoughts on it and wonder about it.

as for the blocks I forgot about it.

side note mine is fully machined, checked it a few weeks ago.

The lines I knew they were on the wrong side, rubber would work but should be changed every few years or so. hard line would definately be best, cut off the flare and nut, then use some unions and run em to the PS front.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
why not put your regulator on the frame and use the lines already there with proper fittings?

i put mine where the stock lines would reach, the regulator is NPT and the TBI lines are weird ones im not sure what they are, thus i changed fittings.

You must be registered for see images attach

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
The problems with my TBI are I have replaced all sensors and went through my ignition but it surges and goes below 500 rpms at idle warm at stoplights, in reverse cold it stalls, and yes Ive checked my fuel pressure, 14psi.
Well that sounds EXACTLY like my current issue. Stock fuel pressure specs should be 9-13, so yours is high, like mine. Same driveability issues. Combined minds seem to think that I need a tb rebuild because I either a) have a injector stuck partly open, therefore leaking, b) FPR diaphragm is shot, or c) both. Either way I'll have a about $75 in mine when I get it put back together with new injectors and a new FPR diaphragm.

You may want to follow my thread titled "Well f**k me running" before you do all this.