Tbi carb swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blazer43

Reaction score
Whats up guys, I got a 94 k1500 I got it dirt cheap for $800, the guy I got it from was doing a carb swap. Everything is good except for the timing, I set my #1 top dead center with the rotor pointing at number one i get my distributor cap on and plugged in and it'll only crank if it's advanced, and it runs like crap, am I doing something wrong and help would greatly be appreciated, this is my first time doing this.

Attachments

• 20231023_135230.jpg
    20231023_135230.jpg
    532 KB · Views: 5
  • 20231023_135230.jpg
    20231023_135230.jpg
    532 KB · Views: 5

tpass

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Would really need to know what else has been swapped... a lot of times an HEI distributor will be used in place of the original TBI distributor. Was the motor swapped as well?

Your basic approach seems fine but the TBI is quirky with setting time, there is a plug on the firewall near the power distribution that needs to be disconnected to set the timing. (if the TBI distributor and ECM are being used for timing)

Blazer43

Reaction score
Yes, it's the stock motor, it's got a jegs carburetored intake, with the edelbrock avs2 and hei distributor, also have a fuel pressure regulator for the stock tank. I unplugged the wire you are mentioning, it's a black and tan wire, it didn't make no difference when un plugged I've messed with the timing no matter where I set the degrees on the balancer i still have to advance the distributor and it just runs like crap, it's so advanced that it hits my intake manifold to where I can't turn it no further, sorry if it doesn't make sense, kinda new to this.

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you have to turn your distributor that far it is not in correctly. The piston is a TDC twice in every cycle, it needs to be on the compression stroke TDC. Also, the rotor has to face #1 on the cap, not #1 cylinder. You didn't specify which #1, I recently had someone try to tell me it was #1 cylinder which is wrong.
You can also check if your balancer ring has slipped. I have never seen it happen but have heard it could.

Blazer43

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I got it on the compression stroke, I put my thumb over the #1 hole till I feel pressure and then bring the piston all the way up, as far as the rotor I was told you want it pointing to #1 cylinder and and when you put your cap on it should line up wit the #1 on the cap, and then you can adjust timing