TBI junk carb time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why don't you post up symptoms so we can try to help, TBI is reliable and easy to diagnose, you just don't want to try to get it running, yet want to waste time, money, and hack stuff up to go back in time.

Amazing how you are willing to want to swap a whole induction setup, but not troubleshoot a few issues.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
sounds to me like he has his mind made up.

I highly doubt fixing tbi is gonna be cheaper then swapping. Yea this sensor or that one might be cheaper but how long is it gonna last? IMO you buy a carb intake and dist. and you get it once and that's it.

I don't see looseing any HP or tq going to carb, tons of carb setups make high Hp and tq and with it tuned right why not? gas mileage, yea most likely it'll drop some.

I like carb over FI anyday, for me carb is easier to mess with. My tbi works ok but if it ever goes down and I can't figure it out, or I can't depend on it working I'm going to carb.

IF his problem is one sensor os 2, or something that cut and dry then yes it's tons cheaper depending on the sensor. a computer or the esc aint cheap. If the guys wants to keep his bi working he should ask I know we can help, to me he has his mind made up so I just offered up info on the switch from what I've read. I have no personal experience on it, OTHER then my 85 monte carlo was tbi 4.3 factory and when I got it was setup for carb'd v8 and is what I ran, in tank pump still in, and gauge still worked, sucked gas right thru it no issues.

I am very curious on dist. though what you must cut or change to convert from this tbi type dist. to an hei style.

unstable

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am very curious on dist. though what you must cut or change to convert from this tbi type dist. to an hei style.

Timing is controlled by the ECM as well, so if you swap out the TBI for a carburator, from what I understand you'll also need to swap out the distributor...at least that's what I've been told. And if the question was to me about troubleshooting the TBI versus replacing it with a carb...I'm going the carb route because I'm planning on dropping a mildly built/cammed 454 into the engine compartment in the near future. Engine is already built I just need to make the time to get it to my house and get it in...and TBI isn't going to work for me in this case. So why not outfit the truck for the motor now rather than later?

danman6677

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
my mind is made up and Ive already made some purchases, a 600cfm edelbrock with electric choke used $100, HEI distributor used, $20, fuel pressure regulator new, $50 looking at a intake manifold for $130 but waiting for bid to be accepted. The problems with my TBI are I have replaced all sensors and went through my ignition but it surges and goes below 500 rpms at idle warm at stoplights, in reverse cold it stalls, and yes Ive checked my fuel pressure, 14psi.

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
WHy did you buy a TBI truck then? Haters gonna hate. Makes no sense.

danman6677

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a car that sold quicker than I thought and I found this truck for $500. But today I bought a 1989 Chevy s-10 shorty that Im gonna put a 350 in so I will have both carb and TBI.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
who cares that much if he's going back to carb? it's his truck. I don't hate on everyone blacking out crap of plasti dip junk or bedliner the entire truck and what not and I hate it. it's his truck and he's gonna do what he wants.

as for the dist. yea it's gotta be changed, but I wonder what wires you cut and reuse to run old style hei setup.