Swaybar Link Snapped...Why?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jgebauer

Reaction score
A couple years ago I rebuilt the entire front end of my truck. No problems until yesterday. Took off from a stop sign at a casual speed, hit the small dip on the other side of the road (going straight), heard a pop and heard metal tinking on the pavement. Stopped and found the broken bolt and some bushings from my passenger side swaybar link.

Easy enough to replace, but what do you guys think caused this? I would like to fix the root of the problem and avoid this happening again.

Seems crazy since I've driven it all over hell including a lot of offroading.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have any pictures of the broken link? Close-ups of the actual break would be helpful.

DaCoupe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I snap 1 or two every year to be honest.
Still to this day I dont know why they are breaking :(

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My Energy Suspension passenger side sway bar link broke less than a year after I rebuilt my steering. I replaced it with ( I think) an Autozone link. It 's been over a year and it's still good.

Don't know if there is a rhyme or reason why they break.......

I noticed RockAuto has upgraded links.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If it's original then I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Articulating the suspension off road is hard on them.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I broke one years ago. I've replaced them a couple of times because I've cut them for removal rather than fight the rust.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
They can also break from improper installation. It's easy to over-tighten them...only tighten until the bushings just barely begin to compress. And, you're supposed to do it with the suspension loaded, not raised in the air with the control arms drooped. I install them with the lower control arms supported on jack stands.

Richard