OBD1 ABS Power Brake Bleed - Kelsey Hayes 4wal - Snap-on MT2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Truck: 1995 (OBD1) Chevy K1500 4x4 Automatic w/ Kelsey Hayes 4wal ABS.
Issue: Initiating ABS Power Brake Bleed from Snap-on MT2500.

Finding a unit that would actually "talk" to this OB1 system was a pain to begin with however, finally found another mechanic "ish" who had a unit that would communicate. Problem is, during the actual electronic brake bleeding process, he never put his foot on the brake pedal which made the entire "paid for" effort pointless. Nonetheless, I witnessed the procedure and what unit he was using. The Snap-on MT2500 scanner (old school). I took pictures of his scanner including the cartridges and bought the exact same scanner and cartridges from eBay. Also noting he was using the GM-1 plug, the unit I bought came with many other plugs along with the GM-1 plug. Here's the problem: the MT2500 I have keeps asking for the Multi-1 plug using the Green & Black pins only. And it does indeed communicate however, it's READ ONLY and no option to select the "functional tests" to initiate the bleeding process. Oddly, the mechanic who "didn't do it right" preforming his process, didn't use the Multi-1 plug, he was using the GM-1 plug. I cannot get my MT2500 to do anything "for ABS" without the Multi-1 plug. If I force it, it'll just tell me there's no response from the ABS unit. I'm hoping someone with knowledge of the MT2500 can shed some light on this. I figure, I'm not accessing the right menu or it's something goofy like: even though I bought the same cartridge, (example) his cartridge is Rev. 1.1 and mine is 1.0 so therefore my cart doesn't have the same programming. I hope it's the first figure.

Attachments

• Cartridges.jpg
    Cartridges.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 29
  • Functional Tests.jpg
    Functional Tests.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 30
  • MT2500.jpg
    MT2500.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 28
  • GM-1.jpg
    GM-1.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 26
  • Multi-1.jpg
    Multi-1.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 28

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So the 95 uses a OBD 2 shaped connector, but is OBD 1 system. You have Delco moraine page open, yet you wrote it's Kelsey Hayes , are there different procedures for them?

Reaction score
It's not an OB2 shaped plug. As for the Delco Moraine, this entire section of the book is specifically for GM ABS both 4wal & Rwal.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought I’d seen on this forum examples of both obd1 and 2 for 95’s.

:hmm:
Read through some of this, may find something useful, more towards the end of thread. Doesn’t seem anyone had much success using the scanner.

Reaction score
You most likely have, 95 & 96 are the cross over years where everything is F'd up. What you have depends on what was being used on the assembly line.
Most available blogs and videos on this very topic will indeed highlight just that with the MT2500. There's simply not much information or at least success information available on this particular subject due to two factors: laziness and those who "know" just don't wanna speak up. I'm specifically referencing "ABS for OBD1" in this manner and as I said in the first post, the first major issue was finding a scanner that would actually do this. I've spent months and hundreds of dollars on "so called" scanners that claim they will do everything for both OBD1 & 2. ALL LIES!!!!! Every dog gone one bought was a TOTAL LIE. Many will indeed "READ" OBD1 but then again, even that is limited. This was the first unit I witnessed that actually did more than just "READ" ABS on a OBD1 system. I'm not giving up on this, I will figure it out eventually, I'm just hoping someone will speak up. And not "after the fact" either. So sick and tired of that crap, once it's solved, all you hear is: I coulda told you that... Then why didn't you? The other issue is: so many don't have a clue what OBD is or know the difference between all 3. Everyone has OBD2 up the @$$. "I never have a problem reading ABS... mine is a 97..." no $h!t surelock, that's a OBD2, and many cheap scanners available will communicate with OBD2 with little to no problems.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, where have you definitively seen where a Snap-On MT2500 WILL bleed your 95 OBD1 ABS?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Did the MT2500 have any sort of software updates over its lifespan? If so I'd be looking into that. Is there any kind of "System Information" type screen on the MT2500 that would give you the current version number of the software? If so you could compare that to your friend's and see if they match.

I have zero experience with these, just throwing out ideas.