Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Evatyl14

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
The injectors are identical, only reason you would change them is if you had a 4.3 or a 7.4 throttle body.

Evatyl14

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Allright, good that i dont have to worry about injectors, and ill leave my TBSpacer with it, and plan to look into a pod spacer to. Thought about doing the ultimate throttle body mod, but scared to screw it up. Where would be the best place to find the chip?

Evatyl14

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
can you buy perfomanced ones? or is it best to put stock on in. in the cases if the truck the engine came from is no longer around

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
You can buy mail order ones, but its better to have one burned custom for your truck. This is where my experience runs out, mine is a 98.

Evatyl14

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
so i just need to find a 350 Prom, install it, then take it to someone and have them re burn it? i just wanna make it run right. i found a set of headers for 115 on craigslist that i might look into, will they transfer from my 305 to a 350?

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
From gearhead EFI:

2. Throttle Body Injection = TBI
You must be registered for see images attach

TBI Throttle Body Injection
The 4.3, 5.0 and 5.7 TBI's are all the same CFM with 1 11/16th bores. The injectors are different sizes. The 454 is larger with close to 2 inch bores. It is recommended a TBI from about the same size engine to be used in your conversion or larger for high performance built eng

The 1995 has a 19167427 PCM IIRC. Commonly referred to as a 7427, best of the OBDI computers since it was the last before OBDII. It's actually a PCM, not an ECM since it controls the transmission on autos. It's no slouch, pretty much as fast and powerful as OBDII stuff. I had one in my 89 TPI truck for a while. Was a great little box. I eventually converted to OBDII with a 411 PCM running sequential TPI but that's another story for another time.....

The 7427 uses a MEMCAL:

Seen as a gen 1 MEMCAL in the pic above. The PROM is for the 7477 ECM from the earlier TBI trucks.

You don't need to mess with the wiring/PCM in your case, which is a simple engine replacement. You will want to swap out the MEMCAL eventually (or right away if you have it).

A 350 4l60E is BCC BYJK if I recall. The BCC is the calibration for the particular engine transmission combination. Might want to research that BYJK though, been a while since I messed with OBDI stuff.

Also, I do believe you can swap in the long block under all the 305 systems and it will run acceptably. Same throttle body, injectors, MEMCAL, etc. The PCM will up the fueling in response to teh O2 sensor feedback. The question is whether or not it will all have enough authority to reach Stoich on the 305 stuff. I seem to recal that it does, but you're running at it's upper limits. Again, read up on that becasue it has been several years since I messed with a gasser (moved on to diesels several years ago), let alone and OBDI TBI truck.

If you haven't done engine removal replacements much before and/or are working outside, I would suggest you have alternate means of transportation lined up for your Monday morning. Sometimes it goes smooth as butter, sometimes not-so-much. Especially if you start deviating from straight up stock stuff to things like headers and resulting exhaust changes.

Good luck.

Last edited:

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
Knock sensor is on the side of the engine block near the motor mount (passenger side) As long as the one that is in the 350 stays in it, it will be fine. Direct plug in, the 305 one just won't fit in the 350 block. PROM is the chip in the computer that has the info on it for the specific engine in the truck. It is easy to change. 4.3/5.0/5.7/7.4 engines all have different PROM chips. The 5.0 and 5.7 share the same throttle body and injectors. You will just need the computer chip for the extra cubic inches.

305 uses same injectors as 4.3L, he needs the 350 injectors.

Evatyl14

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
From gearhead EFI:

The 1995 has a 19167427 PCM IIRC. Commonly referred to as a 7427, best of the OBDI computers since it was the last before OBDII. It's actually a PCM, not an ECM since it controls the transmission on autos. It's no slouch, pretty much as fast and powerful as OBDII stuff. I had one in my 89 TPI truck for a while. Was a great little box. I eventually converted to OBDII with a 411 PCM running sequential TPI but that's another story for another time.....

The 7427 uses a MEMCAL:

Seen as a gen 1 MEMCAL in the pic above. The PROM is for the 7477 ECM from the earlier TBI trucks.

You don't need to mess with the wiring/PCM in your case, which is a simple engine replacement. You will want to swap out the MEMCAL eventually (or right away if you have it).

A 350 4l60E is BCC BYJK if I recall. The BCC is the calibration for the particular engine transmission combination. Might want to research that BYJK though, been a while since I messed with OBDI stuff.

Also, I do believe you can swap in the long block under all the 305 systems and it will run acceptably. Same throttle body, injectors, MEMCAL, etc. The PCM will up the fueling in response to teh O2 sensor feedback. The question is whether or not it will all have enough authority to reach Stoich on the 305 stuff. I seem to recal that it does, but you're running at it's upper limits. Again, read up on that becasue it has been several years since I messed with a gasser (moved on to diesels several years ago), let alone and OBDI TBI truck.

If you haven't done engine removal replacements much before and/or are working outside, I would suggest you have alternate means of transportation lined up for your Monday morning. Sometimes it goes smooth as butter, sometimes not-so-much. Especially if you start deviating from straight up stock stuff to things like headers and resulting exhaust changes.

Good luck.

It's a 5 spd, so what do i do about the whole thing you were saying about the transmission. so i only need to change the knock sensor? Other wise everything else should be fine?