Suspension Clunk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Obsloverrrrr

Reaction score
1994 k2500 stock height... heavy half
Ball joints, bushings, tie rods, sway bar links, brand new shocks, have all been shaken down, no play whatsoever. Taking off from a stop, or backing up, or turning under 5 mph, theres a clunk, sometimes quiet, sometimes very loud from the front of the truck, can usually feel it on the wheel. What else could it be? It's getting worse day by day and I have no idea what it is, it does sometimes get worse when applying brakes. Thanks!

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Quite hard to diagnose over the internets.

Idler arm? Taking off from a stop the FE lifts, the tires toe outward, and pull on the idler and pitman. You'd feel that in the wheel.

Upper A-arm bushings are very common too. May be tough to see on a quick shakedown so jack it up on the lower C.A. Pull the front tires off, and put a prybar in the pocket.

Last edited:

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had something similar to my 98 Tahoe. I had a thud coming from the rear. Almost like a bad body mount. Turned out to be a loose lower shock mount.

RPMerf

Reaction score
If you can feel it in the wheel, it is likely pitman arm, idler arm (those 2 should be replaced together) or tie rods. Have someone move the tires back and forth while you watch underneath.

If you replace the pitman arm, get a good one - AC Delco. I got a drive wise one because it was $20 cheaper. The steering wheel was about 45° off. Apparently, they are stamped wrong.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Doesn't a k have CV joints? Check that for play or clunking. Also is it only on one side? Driver? Passenger? Center?

JWOK

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As already stated, you have so many possible causes from the description and it is pretty hard to offer advice without hearing it. Just to throw more into the mix of what has already been said, bad engine mounts can make a loud clunk any time you accelerate and could happen in forward or reverse.