Subwoofer set up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
I have a full bench seat in my RCSB, and i plan on taking the seat out, building a box that fits a 10" under the driver side, and mounting the amp on top of the transmission "hump" and maybe eventually do a second 10" under the passenger side. Sound good, anyone?

The sub part sounds like a good plan, you can get really nice sounding shallow subs now. I love mine, I can set it to be subtle, or to give a nice rumble, and it does great. Only thing I would change is I would say mount your sub under the passenger seat, and mount your amp under yours. Reason is, my sub vibrates the passenger seat a little, and you might not want that all the time. If you have someone riding with you, you could just turn it down. Also, I say put the amp under your seat, because you want it to have room to "breathe". On the transmission hump, it will be close to (if not touching) your bench, and that makes them get hotter.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
i'm running 2 10's under my back seats, no problems at all, actually about to be on my second set of subs back there, as they've been in for like 8 years. I would reccomend the setup highly, never heard or seen the down/up facing subs, but this is what mine looks like.
You must be registered for see images

T DOG

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^^^ Did you build or buy the enclosure? If you bought it, where did you get it?

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
The sub part sounds like a good plan, you can get really nice sounding shallow subs now. I love mine, I can set it to be subtle, or to give a nice rumble, and it does great. Only thing I would change is I would say mount your sub under the passenger seat, and mount your amp under yours. Reason is, my sub vibrates the passenger seat a little, and you might not want that all the time. If you have someone riding with you, you could just turn it down. Also, I say put the amp under your seat, because you want it to have room to "breathe". On the transmission hump, it will be close to (if not touching) your bench, and that makes them get hotter.

That makes alot of sense, but if i were to mount the amp under my drivers side, wouldnt it be hard to get a power wire from the battery to the amp? Or how does the power work?

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
That makes alot of sense, but if i were to mount the amp under my drivers side, wouldnt it be hard to get a power wire from the battery to the amp? Or how does the power work?

Not too tough. I just bought an amp wiring kit. It came with a thick gauge power wire and good size fuse built in. My main difficulty was finding where to put it through the firewall. If you follow the wire from your antenna on your fender, it goes through right underneath the glove box on the interior, you can poke it through that. After that, just pull your carpet up along the edges, lay the wire underneath, and have it go to the back then along the back wall of your truck to your amp. One thing though, you have to run RCA cable from your head unit, to the amp, do this on the driver's side, and keep it away from the power wire. The power wire causes noise in the RCA cable, so keep them a little ways apart. You don't have to worry about normal speaker wire, so that would be fine to run from driver's to passenger's side along the back with your power wire.

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
If I recall correctly there is just a spin nut you loosen and the jack comes right out.

Yeah, the spin nut and one bolt is all I see. The case does not want to come out. Then do I cut off the post that the spin nut is on?

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im running one 12" Kicker Comp snack in the middle of the back seat don't need much more in a ext/cab.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
^^^ Did you build or buy the enclosure? If you bought it, where did you get it?

Came with the truck when i got it, looks pretty bought lol. It would be super easy to build if you wanted to though, i could get dimensions proly.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
Not too tough. I just bought an amp wiring kit. It came with a thick gauge power wire and good size fuse built in. My main difficulty was finding where to put it through the firewall. If you follow the wire from your antenna on your fender, it goes through right underneath the glove box on the interior, you can poke it through that. After that, just pull your carpet up along the edges, lay the wire underneath, and have it go to the back then along the back wall of your truck to your amp. One thing though, you have to run RCA cable from your head unit, to the amp, do this on the driver's side, and keep it away from the power wire. The power wire causes noise in the RCA cable, so keep them a little ways apart. You don't have to worry about normal speaker wire, so that would be fine to run from driver's to passenger's side along the back with your power wire.

My power wire runs from the battery down to the frame, its just zip tied up there, then runs up through a hole drilled in the floor behind the back seat, then all sillyconed up. RCA and Remote wires run under carpet and under the kickplate moulding.

It would probably take an hour to run all the wires properly for a first timer.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
Yeah, the spin nut and one bolt is all I see. The case does not want to come out. Then do I cut off the post that the spin nut is on?

If your putting subs in you''ll want to cut that post off anyways, so yes.