Suburban shopping, looking for info

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mackguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Don't have a GMT400 yet, but seriously looking for a nice Suburban, and hoping to glean some info here.

We've had a 2011 Mazda CX-9 for a few years as the family hauler and my wife's daily driver, however we want something for more space travelling with a dog and toddler, and associated gear.. problem is both my wife and I drive over 30k/year (long commutes), and a full-size SUV doesn't make sense for either of us, so the solution was to get my wife a commuter car, plus get a Suburban for family trips...

So we are looking for $5k or so, for a decent reliable Suburban, which seems possible. Found a 1999 GMC locally with just over 200k miles for $3,900, that drives like new, no leaks, and both body and interior are very nice considering age and miles.

Random questions..
2) Is there ANY difference between GMC/Chevrolet Suburban in 1999 other than the badge/grille?

3) I've read the pusbutton/auto 4x4 transfer cases might have problems... is this common, or occasional? is it easy to get replacements when/if they develop problem?

4) none of the xfer case lights come on at all.. is this normal? When you push the buttons, you can hear linkages/movement so I assume 4x4 is working just no lights

5) He didn't have the 3rd row in when we looked at it.. I know on the GMT800 you can leave the 3rd row in and flip it up... is this possible on the GMT400 or is it just in or out?

What other questions should I be asking on a 17 year old 200k mile vehicle? We will probably only be putting 2-3k/year on it, but mostly for long (500+ mile) family trips.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
Personally I'd jump on that fairly quick.
I paid $1,000 cash for my 97 Suburban with a bad transmission and rough interior; and I don't believe there's any differences between 97-99; someone can correct me
The 3rd row can't be folded down; it can be taken out and the 2nd row can fold down flat. I think the main issue with the push button transfer case, NP243 I think, is the Actuators go out more than manual cases.
Someone else can chime in on this, I know I don't regret buying mine.

mackguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the note, it does seem decent, just want to make sure we know.
Stinks about the 3rd row not having the flip up like the GMT800's, but I think we can deal with it. We rarely use/need a 3rd row, but it's nice to have on occasion

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The 3rd row can't be folded down

Well now that's not entirely true... They don't fold down FLAT, but they do fold down.

Alternatively you can just pull them out if that doesn't provide enough room.

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
The 3rd row does fold - just not flat with the floor board. It can also be taken out. The biggest issue with the auto 4x4 is its always spinning, so if you lift it, you need a double cardan front drive shaft.

The connections on the push buttons are weak; I can pounding my fist just below them, and they'll light up and stay that way until the next big bump.

There are zero differences between the GMC and Chevy suburban besides badge and grille.

$3,900 is a 'good' price. Its nothing spectacular, nor a rip off. Suburbans are CHEAP in the SW, a tahoe or truck will go for 2x the price of a suburban around here. $3,900 would by a nice burb.

mackguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Regarding the 3rd row i know they don't fold flat, just wondering if they flipped up like the newer (gmt800) suburban/tahoe, sounds like no.

Price seems fair compared to local results. Any that are cheaper (and many more expensive) look trashed and have various issues.. This one has retrimmed front leather and rears are nice, plus blue interior which is cool.

mackguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 3rd row does fold - just not flat with the floor board. It can also be taken out. The biggest issue with the auto 4x4 is its always spinning, so if you lift it, you need a double cardan front drive shaft.

The connections on the push buttons are weak; I can pounding my fist just below them, and they'll light up and stay that way until the next big bump.

There are zero differences between the GMC and Chevy suburban besides badge and grille.

$3,900 is a 'good' price. Its nothing spectacular, nor a rip off. Suburbans are CHEAP in the SW, a tahoe or truck will go for 2x the price of a suburban around here. $3,900 would by a nice burb.

I always find these local corrections interesting... Here there doesn't seem to be any real premium for the smaller vehicles at least in the GMT400 generation. Even Denali/Escalades can be found in this price range ($4k).

It seems like $4k is pretty much the bottom of market for these, as the older generations, in worse condition are selling for that or higher, and the only less expensive ones I see need major work (transmission/engine/no title, etc)

mackguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here are pictures of the one I'm looking at btw... at $3,900 he's not including the 20" wheels (which is fine by me). According to the report I got out of ~283,000 Suburbans made in 1999 only a little over 80,000 were GMC branded, and only 4,000 had the blue leather interior.. The blue interior is a big draw..
You must be registered for see images attach

mackguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
One other question... he had the front seats recovered which is nice, but at least on the driver side the cushion/foam looks and feels like it may be due for a refresh.. Does anyone know a good source for that foam? I only found one place and they only sell the foam for the driver's seat bottom, but no other positions..

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
One other question... he had the front seats recovered which is nice, but at least on the driver side the cushion/foam looks and feels like it may be due for a refresh.. Does anyone know a good source for that foam? I only found one place and they only sell the foam for the driver's seat bottom, but no other positions..

I replied to this in your other thread, but just go to a pro upholstery shop. Any good shop will be able to replace just about any piece of these seats.