Just acquired an abandoned 92 sierra 2500 with the 7.4L. Looking for info and resources

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TylerSteez

Reaction score
Ooh she got the fungus, I like it.

These trucks are easier to work on than third gens, way more room. Get yourself a download of the factory service manual available in a sticky thread on here and RIP AND TEAR the aftermarket stuff out until it is done.
definitely will download that manual, found a decent wiring schematic last night that i’m sure was probably from said manual

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
pssshh... earlier this year I bought one that looked nearly as bad and drove it home 200+ miles. :)

Engine bay still looking pretty crusty.. but at least running on all 8 once I did plug wires and cap/rotor (had one broken plug wire)
You must be registered for see images attach

Yours really doesn't look all that bad. It's a mess at the moment but a little clean-up will go a long way.

Richard

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good score! I like cheap trucks.

My other main concern is the wiring under the dash. its a birds nest of what seams to be old breathalyzer installations
Ugh. I hated being a technician and having to work on cars with breathalyzers. They don't work, and you didn't know what funky mother drunkard had his lips on that thing before you, but you still had to start it and get it in the shop.

Here are some pictures, shield your eyes and keep in mind that I got this truck for a song and was really just looking for a winter project to keep me busy lol
I think I got you beat. I got a free '88 C3500 back in March. It was full of mouse turds.

You must be registered for see images attach

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was a cold day, and I used a shovel to empty as much as I could. Then I unbolted the seat and threw it and the carpet away. Night soil makes a great bolt lubricant. Every bolt came out smooth. Then I grabbed the shop vac and cleaned up the rest. My build thread is linked below, and I still don't have the interior back in it yet.

TylerSteez

Reaction score
This weekend I put a new ignition cylinder in (didnt have keys) and made sense of the birds nest wiring under the dash. Also grabbed a full maroon interior this morning along with a the more modern gmc front grille. All of my tune up parts and fuel tank arrived so hopefully this friday I can have it towed to my shop and get it running. I noticed there's red coolant in the overflow and green in the radiator. pretty sure the last guy to tinker with the thing didn't know they aren't supposed to mix so I'll have to flush the system before firing.

Been watching a few dash swap videos and it seems like a fun time. Going to replace all of the hvac stuff while im in there. I eventually would like to have functional AC so its a perfect time to get the interior side of the system squared away.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Go back and get the other parts associated with the newer grille, if you didn't already. The filler strip that goes between the grille and bumper, the fender corner filler pieces, and all 4 bumper brackets.

Richard

TylerSteez

Reaction score
Go back and get the other parts associated with the newer grille, if you didn't already. The filler strip that goes between the grille and bumper, the fender corner filler pieces, and all 4 bumper brackets.

Richard
he’s over an hour away so unlikely i’ll go back to him for them but he did give me the filler piece. i’ll have to look into the bumper brackets and corner filler pieces