Stuck Front Axle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
I am trying to change the front differential axle bearings on a 1997 k1500 and can't get the drivers side axle to pull out. I have the differential out and have pulled with a slide hammer and I am having no luck. Anybody have any good ideas on how to get it out? The passenger side came out easy.

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
anyone there to help you? Maybe apply some pressure wit a pry bar on the back side while using the hammer? I know that's not the greatest way and can damage the case if you pry too hard, I was just trying to think of some way to add a little more mechanical leverage.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Tried that too, i don't know anything to do except cut the flange off the axle and disassemble it and pull the pin and drive it out.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you sure there isn't a retainer clip of some kind? Sorry if that's a dumb question, i don't mess with axles much.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
On the front axles there is a snap ring, supposed to let it pop out with a slide hammer but this one is really stuck.

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Tried that too, i don't know anything to do except cut the flange off the axle and disassemble it and pull the pin and drive it out.

seems like that is the method that a lot of people have to go for, according to my Googling...

shorepatrol

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm confused. My 98 k1500 didn't have a snap ring. Axle nut and washer off, unbolt from front diff and they slid right out.