Straight pipe or glass pack in place of muffler?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMstrong

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I ran them on my obs 2500 with the vortec 350 sounded very good and it still had the stock cats I had them dumped I have exhaust videos of it look at my youtube.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
intermediate pipe to a muffler, then up and over the axle and out the stock location.

Kills the sound just enough to be "rumble-y" and any excessive noise fires out from under the body which eliminates the low freq "boom" that people call "drone".

It's also far enough away from the rear window (if you have a slider) that you can still hear it, yet not be obnoxious.

Last bonus is having it come out in the stock location helps keep johnny laws eyes scanning when looking for the modified vehicle making all that noise. A non stock exit is a dead give away.

here's my old 89 TBI 350 with a full 3" single, high flow cat, Cherry Bomb elite and and stock exit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2hz-msHMGo&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

LOWnEASY

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you have the cats still on, and you decide to go strait pipe, get a clip. Even if you don't go strait pipe it would be awsome of you to get a clip before you replace the muffler.

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
intermediate pipe to a muffler, then up and over the axle and out the stock location.

Kills the sound just enough to be "rumble-y" and any excessive noise fires out from under the body which eliminates the low freq "boom" that people call "drone".

It's also far enough away from the rear window (if you have a slider) that you can still hear it, yet not be obnoxious.

Last bonus is having it come out in the stock location helps keep johnny laws eyes scanning when looking for the modified vehicle making all that noise. A non stock exit is a dead give away.

here's my old 89 TBI 350 with a full 3" single, high flow cat, Cherry Bomb elite and and stock exit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2hz-msHMGo&feature=youtu.be

You have a good point, thanks for the advise. I think I'm gonna opt for the tail pipe out the stock location. I don't want it too loud from a side dump, remember it's only a short bed standard cab.

I'm gonna start buying up the exhaust parts in the next week or so.

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you have the cats still on, and you decide to go strait pipe, get a clip. Even if you don't go strait pipe it would be awsome of you to get a clip before you replace the muffler.

No cats on the truck and never will be. I'll get some exhaust sound tomorrow of the current set up if I have time. Would be a good comparison for before and after the new system.

Currently on the truck is the single pipe to a y that goes to 2 glass packs, no tail pipes.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
You have a good point, thanks for the advise. I think I'm gonna opt for the tail pipe out the stock location. I don't want it too loud from a side dump, remember it's only a short bed standard cab.

I'm gonna start buying up the exhaust parts in the next week or so.

I had mine bent up at a local shop from 3" aluminized.

Minus the Y pipe, 350 bucks out the door....

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had mine bent up at a local shop from 3" aluminized.

Minus the Y pipe, 350 bucks out the door....

I have sourced the parts separately. 2.5" intermediate pipe, 2.5" to 3" adapter, chambered muffler, 3" tail pipe and clamps for under $150.

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I started ordering some parts for the exhaust.

I'm just curious about the hanger off the frame for the tail pipe that's all the way at the back of the truck, anyone have any pics of this? I just want to determine if the one currently on my truck is stock.

Thanks

ShadowRejects

I drank the Kingpin koolaid
Reaction score
Straights. I get a bunch of compliments on my exhaust and its loud. very loud. So if you like loud then straights are for you. Lol, then again ive been pulled over for it :uhoh2: