Straight pipe or glass pack in place of muffler?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On my truck the exhaust was cobbed up pretty bad by the previous owner. Currently it has the stock y pipe into the single then the pipe splits and goes to two glass packs and thats it.

I need to upgrade this because it sounds bad in the cab, it's in rough shape and the pipe pre glass packs is just sitting on the cross member (no hangers)

My ideas for the new exhaust is to cut off the exhaust after the y pipe where it combines to a single pipe. Buy a new intermediate pipe bolt that on and bolt on a new tail pipe. Now this is where I need some suggestions, should I just connect the intermediate pipe to the tail pipe with a straight section of pipe or go with a straight through thrush glass pack?

Another idea I have is to bolt on a new intermediate pipe, bolt on muffler after that and have a 90 degree elbow come off the muffler outlet and exit in front of rear tire. I'm not sure on which muffler to use for the side dump, I don't want it crazy loud if it's gonna be out the side.

Also there is no cat currently on the truck and never will be.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
I say don't run a muffler if you're sticking with single 3" piping. If that's too loud, you'll need something more effective at controlling noise than a glasspack to make it worthwhile.

Another idea I have is to bolt on a new intermediate pipe, bolt on muffler after that and have a 90 degree elbow come off the muffler outlet and exit in front of rear tire. I'm not sure on which muffler to use for the side dump, I don't want it crazy loud if it's gonna be out the side.
That's similar to my current setup. 3" single pipe, cat, no muffler, 45 degree exit in front of right rear tire, 3.5" slashed tip. Best sounding exhaust I've had on this truck, but VERY loud outside. Although inside, it's quieter than when I had a Dynomax Bullet dumped underneath the bed.

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've noticed with exhausts that dump under the cab, they just sound too loud in the cab and kinda sound sh*tty.

What is a dynomax bullet?

Thunderstruck- you said you run a cat but no muffler out the side? I bet that's super loud. Do you have a youtube video of that? Any pics of your exhaust setup? I saw the one of just the tip in your thread, nice truck.

I would like to do that type setup but I'm afraid I'll need a muffler of some sort due to the lack of cat converter.

Thanks

Last edited:

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A lot of your noise could be the exhaust resting on the crossmember. Have you tried replacing hangers and clamps then tightening everything up to see if what you already have can be made to work? Even a new exhaust will sound horrible if it rubs the frame.

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm aware of the additional noice from rubbing the frame. My intensions are to add hangers with the new exhaust. I have no plans of making the current exhaust work, it's rotted and junk. I don't care for the y after the single with the dual glass packs, I would have to run two tail pipes.

I'm really starting to lean toward the side dump exhaust using a new 2.5" intermediate pipe to a 3"in 3"out chambered muffler to a 45 degree pipe in front of the rear tire. 2 hangers will be added of course, one infront and one behind the muffler. I figure this will be easier then running a full length tail pipe out the back with more hangers.

Any opinions on chambered mufflers?

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
What is a dynomax bullet?

Thunderstruck- you said you run a cat but no muffler out the side? I bet that's super loud. Do you have a youtube video of that? Any pics of your exhaust setup? I saw the one of just the tip in your thread, nice truck.

I would like to do that type setup but I'm afraid I'll need a muffler of some sort due to the lack of cat converter.

Thanks
www.dynomax.com
Basically a glasspack without any louvers inside, just perforated pipe inside.

Thanks! I don't have any more pics or a video. I can get all that for you, but it will take me until at least the end of this weekend. Yeah, the cat does reduce some of the noise, but it's still very loud. You're going to want to run a muffler if being too loud is any concern to you.

BTW, what year and engine are we talking about here? You mentioned using a 2.5" intermediate pipe, that seems kinda small to me for a single pipe setup.

As far as chambered mufflers go, the closest thing I've ever used was a Dynomax Super Turbo. Sounded great, was almost stock quiet while cruising, but still got mean whenever you mashed the skinny pedal. If I didn't have my Avalanche with a stock exhaust, I'd probably still be using that setup.

Last edited:

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's a '90 with 305 tbi 5 speed. I'm using the 2.5" intermediate pipe after the why cause it's cheAp and will slip right over the end of the y pipe and it won't need any cutting. From there it will get a 2.5" to 3" adapter.

I thought about using a 3" intermediate pipe but I would have to cut the flange off and it would cost more money, kinda a waste for such a short run. Remember, it's only a short bed standard cab with a 305

I look foward to some pics and video if it's not too much trouble

Thanks

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As far as chambered mufflers go, the closest thing I've ever used was a Dynomax Super Turbo. Sounded great, was almost stock quiet while cruising, but still got mean whenever you mashed the skinny pedal. If I didn't have my Avalanche with a stock exhaust, I'd probably still be using that setup.

I was under the impression that the super turbos are a different type of muffler. The turbo muffler has a series of perforated tubes with packing and the chambered muffler just has chambers?

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any opinions on chambered mufflers?
Chambered mufflers are pricey, but worth every penny. I have had Flowmasters on every single V-8 I have ever owned and love the way they sound. A low rumble at idle, quiet on the highway, and nothing beats em at full song.

Expect to pay 5x more for them than glasspacks tho.