Stiffer Heavier Duty Upgraded Front Suspension 1/2 Ton for Plowing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SubLo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, the thread title kind of says it all. I can hear the chants now "get a 3/4 or 1-ton." I know. But I don't plan on plowing all that often and really like my 1/2 ton. I'm seriously considering a Boss HT plow (about 430 lbs) as they're specifically designed for 1/2 tons.

My issue is, in watching all the YouBoob videos and seeing 1/2 ton plowing setups in person, there is too much droop going on in the front. What I'd like to do, since my 152K mile truck is due soon anyway, is to possibly replace the front springs and shocks (stock height or mildly cranked one inch or so) with some stiffer / heavier duty units.

Any suggestions?

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I cranked my (assumed) stock 230k torsion bars it did make the front ride quite a bit stiffer and raised the front maybe 2". Stiff enough for a plow? I don't know.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
You could always put 3/4 ton torsion bars in. Honestly thought, If you're just worried about the droop, just crank them when you have the plow on, then you can de-crank when you're not running the plow most of the year.

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You could always put 3/4 ton torsion bars in. Honestly thought, If you're just worried about the droop, just crank them when you have the plow on, then you can de-crank when you're not running the plow most of the year.

Thats what I was going to suggest, some 3/4 ton or 1 ton bars will take the weight without sag no problem. Truck might ride like ass when you dont have the plow on there.

SubLo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cool! Thanks guys. Any recommendations on where to buy them (3/4 ton)? Would I need new keys or need to make any other modifications?

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As far as I know its just the bars and keys. As for buying them, used.....its a crapshoot, if theyre out of the vehicle its impossible to tell if they are sagging, so you might be worst off. New, they are ridiculously expensive, LMC was selling bars for about $3-400 a pop.....EEEKKKKK. If you could find someone parting out an entire truck and see how its sitting, I think that would be the best way to go.

ghosterbuck

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 2500 with the 195k mile stock bars run up about 2". Dear sweet Jesus does it ride rough. It'll slosh Coke from a can in the cup holder... But they're stout.

towman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
look into timbrens, they will keep it from dropping and destroying your front suspension