Starting my swap soon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Apologies, Boss! Sometimes when new members first join, we don't always know what they capable of. Looks like you've got a handle on this! And some great connections. Should make the swap a whole lot easier!

In my previous post, I meant to say that '4L65e' would handle up to 500hp, not the 4L60e.

That'a a nice truck in the vid. Non-chrome molding, sport mirrors, red trimmed grill bow-tie, black wheel centers. And an LS in it! Cool!
Is it for sale or is that what someone just bought? Outa curiosity, what is something like that worth in your area?
I'm biased, but if it was brought closer to Mother Earth, it would look even better than it does now!

Chevy-Art

LS1 Truck Club Member
Reaction score
If you are able to, go to the 4l80e. It will be a stronger transmission than the 4l60e, 4l65e, or 4l70e. Also behind that 6.0, was a 4l80e. That means the wiring and plug are already set up for the 80e, if you go to a 4l60e you have to change the plug and wiring. The 4l80e does not necessarily rob power, it is just that the 4l80e actually has a higher first gear. 1st gear is physically higher but numerically it is a lower number. You can easily overcome that with a higher stall converter.
4L60-E 3.06 1.62 1.00 0.70 Light duty
4L80-E 2.48 1.48 1.00 0.75 Heavy duty

All in all the swap was fun but also tedious at times. But I would do it again if I were to start over. You will not need your TBI ecm at all. They also now make headers for these swaps, all kinds of mounts, different a/c brackets and more.

JustinD

Reaction score
Cool Thanks for the info man!! I also can get a harness from an 03 1500 2wd ( the truck we took the trans out of) will that harness be better in my application? I was planning on using the stock manifolds for now, if I ever decide to change heads I will do long tubes, but if anything it will get turbo manifolds and a single 76mm, but then I will need a trans upgrade for sure.

That would be a long way out though, I think the 6.0 with a small stall and a shift kit with some time with EFI it should go pretty good and be fun as a driver??

Chevy-Art

LS1 Truck Club Member
Reaction score
You should be able to use the 03 harness, as long as you use the PCM from the 03. This would be your set up: 02 6.0, 03 4l60e, 03 harness and 03 PCM. Just think of it this way, it would be like swapping a 6.0 into a 2003 truck that came with a 5.3. You will need a tune for the PCM whichever way you go. And yes a turbo will be fun but expen$ive. Even without the turbo and just the swap you are doing it will be an extermely fun daily driver. I love my swap and want to do another one, if I had the money.

JustinD

Reaction score
Thank you!!! That is about what I was figuring, Though I am using the ECM out of the 6.0 truck only because I already lisenced it with my Flash Scanner, I will just flash it with the 03 OS and then make the changes to it. Same ECM just me being cheap and wanting to save the $125.

The turbo prob won't happen but its one of those things that is cool to know it can be done pretty easily. I just found out that the new Allison in my Duramax has to come out to be fixed so it will delay the swap for a couple weeks but that gives me time to have a plan and get more parts. I'll get some pics of the stuff I have so far this weekend.......

Thank you for all your help guys!!!!!!

FatBilly

Reaction score
I see that the swaps are done in two-wheel drives,has anyone done a four-wheel drive?