Starting my swap soon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JustinD

Reaction score
I have a 1988 C1500 that my Grandfather bought new in 1987 from Patriot Chevrolet in Swansea MA. My Dad also owned it for a while before he passed away so it is more than just a pick up truck to me. It started out life as a 305 5 speed no options truck, my old man put some 87 down steel rally wheels on it with some 255-60-15's it gave it a much better stance. That is pretty much how it sat when I got it, old beat 305 with 240k on it, a 5 speed trans that has the worst ratios of any manual trans I've owned....... and rotted cab corners, doors and rockers.

I just drove it when my Duramax let me down (which was quite often) and just fixed things as they failed (brake lines, calipers, shoes etc.) I did put a new exhaust with a Flowmaster , had to at least sound cool!!! It went for a few years and when it had 270k with the help of a few buddies we took out the 305 with a rod knock, and put an anemic 350 out of a 93 K1500, it currently has the TBI 350 in it and is a blast to drive............but I have always wanted to put an LS in it and I finally have a good opportunity to make it all happen and i'm sooped!!!!!!!!

My Uncle gave me a 6.0 along with the complete harness and ECU out of a 02 2500HD, he also told me to take a 4L60E he has out of a 2003 C1500 5.3 truck. I can't wait to get started on the project and finally have the daily driver I have always wanted!!!!!

Attachments

• red truck before.jpg
    red truck before.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 54

JustinD

Reaction score
Any suggestions or ideas are welcome, the plan is to keep it simple and still fun to drive. I'd like to have a mid to low 12 second daily driver if possible???? My Duramax is a mid to low 12 second ride so I'm kind of used to it by now....

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Welcome! Nice project.
Lots of info here for the swap! There is more than one member that has done this. I have plans to do this to my black truck. Have saved a bunch of info, which I can PM to you if you can't find it on the forum.

JustinD

Reaction score
Don't know about using the 4L60e, though. I'd upgrade that to 4L65e specs, or go to the 4L80e.

Really?? Even with a stock 6.0? My truck is alot lighter than say a 99+ 1500, I planned on a small stall and a Trans Go shift kit and a tune with EFI. I will look into the 4L65E spec.

JustinD

Reaction score
Is the 80 ok in my application??? I have been told it is a heavier duty trans and will steal power, kinda like a TH350 vs. a TH400, 400 is stronger but always seems to rob more power than the 350........

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
Nice truck! and welcome to the site! I hope you keep the stock looking truck with those rallie wheels, looks awesome in my opinion! Good luck on the build though, its going to be a monster wit ha 6 in her!

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
The LS engines are capable of so much more power. A PCM-411 swap, with EFI-live, makes them infinitley more tuneable. Wth what these engines are capable of, the 4L65e or the 4L80e is not going to rob any noticeable power. It will provide a greater degree of reliabiity. Hate for you to get all this done, only for the trans to die a month down the road. Do it once, do it right. Besides, I really hate pulling transmissions as I don't have a hoist. Don't know what your shop situation is like, but laying on the cold cement, with the truck on jackstands is not my idea of fun. I'll do it once, if I really have to, but if I have to do it again because I took a short-cut? Nope. I'll pay someone else with a hoist to do it over, which is really an expense that I don't need.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticle...4l65e_gm_transmission_conversion/viewall.html

The article states that the 4L60e is capable of withstanding up to 500hp, after that, the 4L80e is recommended.

JustinD

Reaction score
Nice truck! and welcome to the site! I hope you keep the stock looking truck with those rallie wheels, looks awesome in my opinion! Good luck on the build though, its going to be a monster wit ha 6 in her!

Thanks!!!! I plan to, I hope the 6.0 is as fun as I think its going to be??? I will keep updating with progress once we start.

The LS engines are capable of so much more power. A PCM-411 swap, with EFI-live, makes them infinitley more tuneable. Wth what these engines are capable of, the 4L65e or the 4L80e is not going to rob any noticeable power. It will provide a greater degree of reliabiity. Hate for you to get all this done, only for the trans to die a month down the road. Do it once, do it right. Besides, I really hate pulling transmissions as I don't have a hoist. Don't know what your shop situation is like, but laying on the cold cement, with the truck on jackstands is not my idea of fun. I'll do it once, if I really have to, but if I have to do it again because I took a short-cut? Nope. I'll pay someone else with a hoist to do it over, which is really an expense that I don't need.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticle...4l65e_gm_transmission_conversion/viewall.html

The article states that the 4L60e is capable of withstanding up to 500hp, after that, the 4L80e is recommended.

I plan to swap everything over from the 02 so I should need to do any PCM mods just going to have the 02 ECM and harness in my 88, few places that can modify my stock harness to work. I am thinking that keeping it mostly stock for now will be my best bet. It might not be as fast as I'd like right away but in my previous experiences with building a daily driver too much all at once can ruin the reliability and that takes all the fun out of it.... My Duramax was an awesome driver, went 12.60's with the stock turbo, but that wasn't enough for me lol, I put a 66mm on it and I have been fighting issues with it since...... I can get the 60 for free from my uncle so I may just use it in stock form for now with the stock 6.0, only a mods would be a tune via EFI Live mostly to make everything work properly and to improve drivability, and a free flowing exhaust no cats. Hopefully the 60 holds up until I can throw some money at it??? I see lots of improved internals for them, I know the TBSS run them and so do the F Body cars, I understand where you are coming from though and I appreciate the heads up, I am fortunate enough to have a few connections at shops with lifts and every tool imaginable, also some really sharp buddies that are fabricators, welders, and mechanics. So I am very excited to get this project underway soon.... Just have to wait until my Duramax is 100% again, which should be in about a week if everything goes to plan......

Thank you guys, I'm sure I will have a lot of questions and be looking for suggestions often, I really appreciate the help!!!!