Starter interchange

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hello, this may be well known, but I thought I would post it anyway. This applies to small block v-8 model's. The 88-94 chevy/GMC still used the same large starter that had used since the early 70's, well if you are looking to upgrade to the 95-98's smaller but more powerful gear reduction starter or needing a replacement starter for your 95-98 chevy/gmc, you can use the starter from a 99 up nbs with a 4.3. The NBS starter's for LS ie v8 motor's will not work they are different, anyway back to my point. The 4.3 starter from a NBS is identical to the one used on the 95-98 v-8, I frequently purchase these from local salvage yard for around $30, and usually I can find one with 25-30K miles, they are still like new, and if you have had to buy one of these new you know they are not cheap, so this gives a nice alternative, and the salvage yards here are full of these NBS truck's with 4.3's. So I always swap the older style out for these now, because I can get them so cheap, and they start faster and are smaller and lighter and less prone to heat soak.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
Hello, this may be well known, but I thought I would post it anyway. This applies to small block v-8 model's. The 88-94 chevy/GMC still used the same large starter that had used since the early 70's, well if you are looking to upgrade to the 95-98's smaller but more powerful gear reduction starter or needing a replacement starter for your 95-98 chevy/gmc, you can use the starter from a 99 up nbs with a 4.3. The NBS starter's for LS ie v8 motor's will not work they are different, anyway back to my point. The 4.3 starter from a NBS is identical to the one used on the 95-98 v-8, I frequently purchase these from local salvage yard for around $30, and usually I can find one with 25-30K miles, they are still like new, and if you have had to buy one of these new you know they are not cheap, so this gives a nice alternative, and the salvage yards here are full of these NBS truck's with 4.3's. So I always swap the older style out for these now, because I can get them so cheap, and they start faster and are smaller and lighter and less prone to heat soak.

Thanks for the info! My 1994 4.3L starter was acting up with my 350.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah I hear you, I have 4.3 NBS starter on a 350hp 350, with no issue's for 2 year's, so they should be good.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here is more great info from DRAGGIN95 the 07 is his new info just adding it because one knows a 07 would have less miles.
Originally Posted by DRAGGIN95
I know that I have posted this before, but you can go to your local salvage yard and get a starter off of a NBS or NNBS with a 4.3, they still use the same gear reduction starter that the v-8 used from 98-98, just don't get a LS starter because it's mounting pattern is different. I have done this multiple times, in fact 3 day's ago I picked up a starter off of an 07 with a 4.3 that had 20k miles for $40 and now it's on my 96 chevy DD. They work great and are cheap, and they are a good ac delco starter.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here is more great info from DRAGGIN95 the 07 is his new info just adding it because one knows a 07 would have less miles.
Originally Posted by DRAGGIN95
I know that I have posted this before, but you can go to your local salvage yard and get a starter off of a NBS or NNBS with a 4.3, they still use the same gear reduction starter that the v-8 used from 98-98, just don't get a LS starter because it's mounting pattern is different. I have done this multiple times, in fact 3 day's ago I picked up a starter off of an 07 with a 4.3 that had 20k miles for $40 and now it's on my 96 chevy DD. They work great and are cheap, and they are a good ac delco starter.

Just to clarify a little, will the 99-07 4.3 starters work with the 88-94 350 TBI's? I have not heard of this swap before!