L T headers, and heat soaked starter.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok, so this is my issue. It is on my 1979 Corvette, not my truck, but my Vette, has its OE 4 bolt main, 350 in it. The LT headers are very close to the starter. It has a metal heat shield, but it is almost touching the header. The starter definitely has heat soak issues. So, here is my question. Anybody running a starter from a 2000ish, 4.3L on there GMT 400. The 2000 plus starter, is a smaller starter. If you are using this starter, please reply, and let me know how you like it. Yes, I know, there are a ton of mini starter options out there, and at a lot of different prices. That's not what I'm asking. I specifically what to know about the 2000 + 4.3 smaller starter. Thanks in advance.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Maybe lava wrap the new starter also?
I definitely will wrap it with a heat blanket. It has a metal heat shield on it now, but that's not really do the job. The old starter is still working, untill it gets hot. Thought I would wrap it first, and see what happens. It isn't easy to pull it off the engine. The header is in the way, big time.

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you have motortrend/discovery plus check out the engine masters episode on heat wraps.

I hate to new MT/discovery thing. I liked it better on its own app.

Back on topic now…

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate to new MT/discovery thing. I liked it better on its own app.

Back on topic now…

I really miss when it was on youtube.

To get on topic, some of those heat shield products actually conducted more heat than the bare control. The best ones were basically fiberglass insulation with a thin metal top. Maybe just shove some fiberglass insulation under the factory heatshield.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hey Kenny, how far advanced is your timing? That'll cause a hard start when hot too. Just a thought...
15° BTDC. That's where Holley says it need to be, for the sniper system. I spent some time on the phone yet with there tech department. We went through some idle issues and did some resetting on the system. Car is starting good, when it's cold. Going wrap the starter rite now.