Spyder headlamps.....my take on 'em...and LIGHTING in general

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
Man my brain hurts trying to process all the information in here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
And just how do you think my 2 brain cells feel? This morning they weren't talking to each other because last night they had another fight.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Halogen vs. HID vs. LED.

Halogen bulbs have much improved color rendering compared to HID or LED, due to their spectral power distribution.

HID has a spiky spectral power distribution that is very high in the blue band.

LED has a limited spectral power distribution, that is noticeably deficient in red output.

If you want to test this out, shine a 'white' LED flashlight at a STOP sign, then note the color that you see, compared to an incandescent flashlight lighting up the same sign.

Bit of reading here on the different types as well:

http://www.outbacktravelaustralia.com.au/4wd-mods-electrics/halogen-or-hid-or-led-driving-lights
http://www.outbacktravelaustralia.com.au/4wd-mods-electrics/halogen-or-hid-or-led-driving-lights
To quote from the article:

"
Recently, LED light bars have become popular and are much easier to fit to streamlined vehicle fronts. However, our testing shows that LEDs can't produce the one-kilometre-distance illumination that big halogens and HID lights can.

However, LEDs have good mid-distance illumination and are virtually maintenance-free."

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Foreground illumination:

Too bright a foreground illumination causes your pupils to constrict, the same as going outside on a bright sunny day without sunglasses or a hat.

In turn, this reduces your distance vision, which can be a problem, especially at highway speeds. A bright foreground allows you to see what you will run over, without affording you time to brake or take action.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
Halogen vs. HID vs. LED.

Halogen bulbs have much improved color rendering compared to HID or LED, due to their spectral power distribution.

HID has a spiky spectral power distribution that is very high in the blue band.

LED has a limited spectral power distribution, that is noticeably deficient in red output.

If you want to test this out, shine a 'white' LED flashlight at a STOP sign, then note the color that you see, compared to an incandescent flashlight lighting up the same sign.

Bit of reading here on the different types as well:

To quote from the article:

"
Recently, LED light bars have become popular and are much easier to fit to streamlined vehicle fronts. However, our testing shows that LEDs can't produce the one-kilometre-distance illumination that big halogens and HID lights can.

However, LEDs have good mid-distance illumination and are virtually maintenance-free."

stop signs look frikkin green with LED's.....