Spyder headlamps.....my take on 'em...and LIGHTING in general

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
GM #25770739 HIR 1

i've read, on another forum or such, that when a guy ordered these upgrade bulbs for his Dodge, they came in a GM box! and some other guy said the Toyota replacement bulbs were made by Toshiba......which he though they stopped making them back in 2110 or so.....not positive on the dates.....but apparently they did still make them for an OEM application and not for public consumption.

i'd have to re-check that, but i'm 99% sure that's what i read because it stuck in my mind as odd.

92silverado1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
A way before and after shot of the glass Spyders and the plastic running lights

You must be registered for see images attach

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
after my initial test of the KC lenses i believe i'm going to be putting the Cibie H1 high-beam, from that set i got, into the KC housing and mounting it OUTBOARD of the grill guard inside the brush guard next to the Spyder high beam......

i'll use it as an auxiliary high beam, aimed to increase the distance of the low beam........kinda like a spot beam shining on the road directly in front of where the usable light from the low beam ends........i believe this should work fairly well and i know the e-code will have some decent spread to it as well......i'll have an aux switch that will be triggered by the stock high circuit so it will be an INSTANT off with the stock column switch......yea, it'll be 6 forward lights, but it'll look like 4 from a distance.

sorta like my idea to have the two sets of fog lights working together, their "overlap" making ONE fog pattern.........never tried it, but i can see it in my mind's eye.

and Philips make the "correct" bulb for my setup. it's a 55 watt bulb.
https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Visi...id=1487097822&sr=1-3&keywords=philips+h1+bulb

this is my plan from the couch as of this moment..................:Pshyco:.....................i guess ya can tell i'm loosing my mind sitting home just "mending", huh????

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
A way before and after shot of the glass Spyders and the plastic running lights

that's my favorite Chevy grill for these trucks......i havent discounted swapping to it down the road......

that setup you have should turn the night trail into sheer daylight......looking forward to the obligatory night pics.....
are those the same as the unit you have on the back?

are you going to cut out the air dam to have them "built in"?

92silverado1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
that's my favorite Chevy grill for these trucks......i havent discounted swapping to it down the road......

that setup you have should turn the night trail into sheer daylight......looking forward to the obligatory night pics.....
are those the same as the unit you have on the back?

are you going to cut out the air dam to have them "built in"?

Mine too, unfortunately the finish started chipping so I've been looking for a better one at swap meets

I've been contemplating putting them all on the high beam switch and putting in an extra switch for the actual high beams and keeping the rest of the switches for each set of lights as well

Yes, they're the same as the one in the back

I've been thinking about cutting the air dam and putting it back on to give it a cleaner look and so it keeps its aerodynamic purpose but I have another set of AUX lights I might put along the bottom so I'm not 100% sure what I'm going to do yet

I've used the bar in fog a few times when noone else is on the road and it's amazing. Haven't had the opportunity to use them on a trail yet but one of these days I'll take a picture of each one a few feet away from a wall and hopefully get a few pics on a trail or backroad. The only thing I'd think about doing differently is getting a curved bar instead of the straight one because it spreads the spot of light out more but overall I'm very happy with all of the lights

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
It would do fantastic. ~2500 lumens, no more power draw than the stock bulb. Even with stock voltage, that's a LOT brighter, with better beam focus from a precision filament.

GM #25770739, I should have some pictures shortly of this bulb.

Pictures on the Rockauto website show the Toshiba bulb, but I have been getting reports that GM has changed suppliers to Vosla for this bulb, and it is even better than the Toshiba.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=538968&jsn=10448

Speak of the devils!

The GM #25770739 bulb sourced locally is a Vosla 28008 9011 / HIR1, made in Germany.

92silverado1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
after my initial test of the KC lenses i believe i'm going to be putting the Cibie H1 high-beam, from that set i got, into the KC housing and mounting it OUTBOARD of the grill guard inside the brush guard next to the Spyder high beam......

i'll use it as an auxiliary high beam, aimed to increase the distance of the low beam........kinda like a spot beam shining on the road directly in front of where the usable light from the low beam ends........i believe this should work fairly well and i know the e-code will have some decent spread to it as well......i'll have an aux switch that will be triggered by the stock high circuit so it will be an INSTANT off with the stock column switch......yea, it'll be 6 forward lights, but it'll look like 4 from a distance.

sorta like my idea to have the two sets of fog lights working together, their "overlap" making ONE fog pattern.........never tried it, but i can see it in my mind's eye.

and Philips make the "correct" bulb for my setup. it's a 55 watt bulb.
https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Visi...id=1487097822&sr=1-3&keywords=philips+h1+bulb

this is my plan from the couch as of this moment..................:Pshyco:.....................i guess ya can tell i'm loosing my mind sitting home just "mending", huh????

That's gonna look great. Alot of light output too. Can't wait to see it all together

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
sorry, musta missed this one drew

um.....
lows: Philips 9006 VisionPlus +60% and high was Philips 9005 X-tremeVision +100%.....let me find em to be sure.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C5QY7DW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001C98R1C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

when the lows take a ****....and they're not very long lived, i'll be using the philips X-tremeVision
https://www.amazon.com/Philips-9006...&sr=1-1&keywords=phillips+9006+x-treme+vision

and the next high beam bulbs will be those HIR's that michael told us about.....can't find the link and forgot what they're called....

found em, and i expect these would last longer than the hi performance Philips while being quite some brighter.
https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-HIR1...&qid=1487093295&sr=1-1&keywords=AC+Delco+HIR1

i had already bought the Philips bulbs before starting this thread....so i had to see what my research would yield. now we know, and michael has shown us the HIR to be much brighter and an easily adapted replacement for the high beam bulb.....my only "concern" is the color temperature may not be the same as the lows......
Thanks Bill, I'll be getting a new harness but I don't know if it will be from Dan Stern or the guy on here you got yours from. Does anybody know the difference between the two ? I want a plug-n-play. NO splicing if that's possible.