Spindle question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sierra

In pieces!
Reaction score
I am taking apart my spindles to clean and paint them. Is is necessary to keep the dust shield with the abs speed sensor? I have completely removed ABS from my truck and don't need the sensor. The rotor does not mount to the dust shield or abs sensor so it looks like I could run without them. The dust shield doesn't look like it does much anyway.

Any thoughts on this??

Marcos

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think you will accumulate more brake dust on the ball joints and boots, probably more heat on them as well

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i think you will be ok without them. but if it were me id consider cleaning and painting them instead.

Sierra

In pieces!
Reaction score
I was looking at it and it looks like the shield and sensor add a little protection to the inner bearing. They help to keep out dirt from the looks of it. I will look more into it when I have time. I was just wondering if anyone has done away with them and if any problems occurred. I will probably toss the abs part and keep the dust shield b/c the heat transfer makes sense.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I got rid of the sensor, but left the dust shield, and have had no problems, it makes it the same as a 88-94.