Someone just told me this, is it true?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Switching trucks is easier than switching engines. Gotta make sure the truck you switch to is what you want, and that it's in good condition. By now, you or your buddy should know about the major issues with GMT400s, such as intake gasket leaks, 4l60E that is going out, bad door hinge pin bushings that cause latch damage, etc.

If it was me, I'd nurse the old truck along, while keeping a patient eye out for a mint V8 that was driven by a "grandpa".

superj

Reaction score
my buddy won't get a new truck. i am surprised he bought this. i have known him for 10 years or so, and this is the first time i have seen him own a vehicle.

i still think he should just fix the 4.3 but he likes the idea of having a v8 short bed step side that is a hot rod

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
I have seen several things here that are conflicting. First time in 10 years that somebody has owned a vehicle, and immediately wants to start engine swapping. Doesn't want to get involved with all the wiring issues and wants to do it as cheap as possible.

Fixing the 4.3 sounds like the best possible option.

superj

Reaction score
i agree. i think the 4.3 will probably stay till it gives up the ghost because so far, he has been all talk and no real doing anything. i told him bring it over and will put the gage in the plug holes and find out where the problem is and just pull the head and see what we have to do to fix it and so far, he cannot stay after work to do anything. sounds like maybe he doesn;t really want to fix it